F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

rear seat removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear seat removal

Recently bought a used f4i, 2002 and I am unable to remove the rear seat. The person who owned it before me, eliminated the rear fender and integrated the turn signals into the tail light. When I insert the key to open the seat, I can feel it is not releasing properly.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the rear seat without using the key. I would like to fix this but am not sure how to get it apart without doing too much damage.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Default RE: rear seat removal

Not sure , aftermarket part probably messed up the lock mechanism. did you ask the original owner?

Old 09-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i would guess that the cable pull has likely come off the mechanism --- what sort of fender eliminator did he put on, and can you remove it (at least partially) from the underside?

Old 09-02-2005, 08:40 PM

Thanks for responding Osopolar and Regener8ed. I appreciate it.

I was not able to speak with the previous owner. The bike is a bank repo and was pretty much bought "as is".

As far as what type of fender eliminator he used. I should really take a picture. It is really more of a hackjob on the stock fender than a fender eliminator kit. I think the stock fender was just cut down, stock signals removed and the signals moved into the stock tail light. At first glance it doesnt look to bad. Upon closer inspection, it leaves much to be desired.

I will go out this evening and see if I can take it apart enough to see what might be going on with the lock mechanism.

Thanks for your help guys. If you got any tips, pass em along!

Old 09-03-2005, 01:29 AM

Well, you were both correct. I was able to reach in by removing the front seat and disengage the locking mechanism. Then I could see what was going on. Basically, when the guy relocated the lock, he didnt have anything to hold the cable in place. Therefore, when you turned to key, it just kind of pulled the whole cable instead on pulling the wire in the cable to release the lock. I just temporarily fixed for now by strapping the cable in place with some zip ties. Now, when you turn the key, it disengages the locking mechanism. I will more than likely be doing some type of undertail in the winter. I'll fix it a little better then.

Thanks again for your help.