F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rear seat permanently attached! Help??

Old 08-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear seat permanently attached! Help??

I'm new here, just bought an 01 F4I. The previous owner permanently attached the rear seat cuz he heard they fly off at high speeds. I'm just wondering how he might have done this, and how I can return it so I can use it for storage again. I tried removing the front seat, and I think the cable doesn't pull the latch quite far enough, although it appears to. I just don't see any other way of permanently doing this. Can anyone help a newbie out? Is there another way in there? I already tried removing the tail, but couldn't quite get it.
thanks in advance!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Default RE: Rear seat permanently attached! Help??

Permanently attached the rear seat?!! Thats CRAZY! But about getting it off. So you can reach the cable? And you tried pulling the cable and lifting the seat off simultaneously? What did he do to permanently attach it? I dont see how that is possible and why anyone would do that. What happens if you lay the bike down and need to paint the tail? Or if a taillight bulb was to burn out? If I could look at it I may be more of service but good luck with the seat.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:51 AM

No I can't reach the cable, but I can see it if I remove the front seat. I've tried pulling the cable and lifting, but no dice. The cable looks like it releases the lattch when pulled, but the latch doesn't release the seat. What gives[:'(]

Old 08-29-2008, 03:45 AM

Can you trace the release cable to where the lock is? I would try to find the end of the cable to see if it was cut or modified. The only other way that i can think of to permanantly mount the seat would be to go through the tail fairing or undertail, and actually using screws, rivets, or bolts to lock it down.

i can attest to the seat coming off though. I lost mine off of my 01 F4i, doing about 80mph. I never did find that thing, flew off like a frisbee and went into the bushes next to the freeway that I was riding on.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:51 AM

That's retarded. F4i's have great USABLE trunks. Especially compared to other bikes. Dont know why anyone wold do that. All I can think of is he removed the seat, disconnected cable from the release point, and re-installed the seat. Then it's permanent. Pullin on cable wont do anything. But my real thinking is he disconnected by accident somehow doing something, then claimed on purpose.

I've had mine come up, not off. You REALLY gotta make sure it latches completely. After mine came up, I always pushed down a couple times just to really make sure its latched all the way. Sure enough, every now and then you can hear it finish is slide over. And to be really really sure, pull up on it with a good tug to be sure.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:56 AM

Does it have a power commander on it? if it does mine sticks all the time and i have to pull the front seat off and pull on the cord that comes from my PCIII. if the latch and cable are moving its something that is keeping it from coming off the hooks that it latches to

Old 08-29-2008, 07:17 PM

There no power commander back there, but the latch and cable DO move. Is there a way to get the tail fairing off without removing the rear seat?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:37 PM

you should be able to. Theres a fairing bolt on either side of the front, right below the front seat by the tank. Then there's those longer bolts at the front of the back seat (honestly... does anybody know why they stick out like that? Is it to hook bungee straps to or something?), and there's like four plastic screws underneath the tail. You should be able to wiggle it off without taking the rear seat off.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 PM
WOT

ORIGINAL: reaper2022
(honestly... does anybody know why they stick out like that? Is it to hook bungee straps to or something?)
Yeah I think they must just be fore bungee straps... the manual calls them rear seat setting bolts, whatever that means.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:27 AM

i think the guy is lock is broken, so he made up some bs story about "permanently" attaching the rear seat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear seat permanently attached! Help??