CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Rear Brake Fine Tuning (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/rear-brake-fine-tuning-95175/)

ibiggers 06-09-2009 10:38 PM

Rear Brake Fine Tuning

What is the best way to fine tune your rear brake?

I want it to almost lock up when I put pressure on it. I am about 70 lbs heavier than the previous owner and using both brakes is best for ideal stopping in the worst case senarios.

Also what model bikes have spools that mount flush up to the swing arm on both sides.
Thanks!

Aken 06-10-2009 01:37 AM

Not much you can do as far as how touchy the pedal is. You don't want to mess with it anyway, especially making it super touchy. Locking up the rear tire when you don't mean to can spell disaster.

If you want good braking, get SS lines and good pads.

some guy #2 06-10-2009 10:29 AM

Don't use the rear brake, you do not want to lock it up even going in a straight line. Pay attention to the road and anticipate problems and you don't have to lock up your brakes.

Incognito 06-10-2009 10:41 AM

With fine tuning the rear brake, just make sure it's bled properly, and you can adjust the height just like with the clutch. Like Aken said, you can alleviate some of the sponginess with braided lines.
I use the rear brake all the time, it's the way I was taught in the MSF course. I've gotten the rear tire to slide around during heavy braking a few times; no big deal. Now if the front locks up, that's a different story.

PlayfulGod 06-10-2009 10:58 AM

you dont want it to lock up EVER!!! Using the rear brake is NOT a bad thing is even encouraged by many road racers. To fine tune the rear brake you want to adjust the rear brake leveler so you have to about stand on it to lock it up. The rear brake just stabilizes the bike under hard braking. the only time you want to actually try and solely use it is while on grass or gravel where the front can lock up and wash out.

PlayfulGod 06-10-2009 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Incognito (Post 795806)
With fine tuning the rear brake, just make sure it's bled properly, and you can adjust the height just like with the clutch. Like Aken said, you can alleviate some of the sponginess with braided lines.
I use the rear brake all the time, it's the way I was taught in the MSF course. I've gotten the rear tire to slide around during heavy braking a few times; no big deal. Now if the front locks up, that's a different story.

The MSF doesnt teach braking on a sportbike tho. A cruiser has more (alot) weight on the rear of the bike than a sportbike does, no to mention doesnt have near the braking power on the front like a sportbike does. Brakes on a sportbike is like 90% front/10% rear, a cruiser is more like 60/40.

ibiggers 06-10-2009 05:25 PM

[quote=PlayfulGod;795813]To fine tune the rear brake you want to adjust the rear brake leveler so you have to about stand on it to lock it up.quote]

That's what I am looking for. I don't want a debate on braking here. Just a good procedure to get it to my operating preference.