F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Ready for any advise...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ready for any advise...

Good luck, and take it easy. Remember, to move at your on pace, and the more you ride you will become familar with your bike.[8D]

Old 04-06-2007, 07:11 AM

ok dude...

first, take the class.

second, get frame sliders and/or remove your fairings for 1 month (or sooner if you feel confident)

i just started riding also.. finished my class, got my license gear and bike all within 3 weeks or so. I ride almost everyday and learn new things everyday

i think the most important tip is keep your head up, and LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO, IF YOU LOOK DOWN, YOU'LL WANNA GO DOWN

also try to start and stop with both wheels straight, any other position and you riskleaning the bike over to the point of no return. I have my bike for about2 weeks and dropped it5-6 times. yea, sad I know, but I never make the same mistake twice. once I stopped before an intersection and my bike wasnt straight so it went towards the left, I couldn't hold it so I had to get off the bike, let it down slowly, then push it back up, and go. im 125lbs pushing a 450lb bike up, adrenalide gives you super human strength lol

Old 04-06-2007, 07:26 AM

I have my bike for about2 weeks and dropped it5-6 times. wow, you must have incredible hulk muscles as much as you pick your bike up

Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Banned

Not saying I was that dumb, but just any little advise.
This is a whole thread of newbie mistakes. YOU GOTTA READ THIS.

https://cbrforum.com/m_74369/tm.htm

My F4i was the first bike I ever rode too. I didn't know the brakes from the clutch... The throttle is easy to control, just don't twist it so much, the brakes are another story. It isn't likeyou got 4 wheels and ABS, you gotta be careful with the brakes on a sportbike, especially the rear brake. When you get going fairly fast and you need to stop quikly that first time, that is when you need to keep your head in the game.

The F4i isn't ideal to learn on, but if you respect the machine and ride well within your skill level, you should be OK.

good luck.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Retired Moderator

Please do yourself a favor and pick up "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. It is an invaluable resource. Some of the best money I have spent. Here's a link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Mot.../dp/1889540536

Old 04-06-2007, 04:07 PM

All good advice.

On the first experience, most riders (incl. me)underestimate the sensitivity of the throttle. As you are learning to get the bike mooving with the clutch, leave the throttle alone. It seems too common of a mistake not to mention.

Yeah, do the MSF.

Good luck... and happy, safe riding.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot has already been covered so I will just add; try not to sneeze violently in your helmet, it can get messy.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:14 PM

OMG!!! never been on a bike!!!! [&o]listen very carefully to everything these guys tell you [&:]it will save yer life

Old 04-06-2007, 04:31 PM

ALRIGHT IF YOU NEED TO MAKE A SHARP TURN AS IN TURNING AROUND ON A STREET WALK YOUR BIKE THREW THE TURN INSTEAD OF GASING IT , CAUSE I'VE SEEN MANY BEGINNERS GIVE IT TO MUCH GAS WHEN THEY WANT TO TURN AROUND AND LOST IT.ALSO ON THE CURVES SLOW DOWN SO YOU DON'T STRAY OUT INTO THE SHOULDER, AT LEAST UNTIL YOU GET USED TO LEANING YOUR BIKE.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:43 PM

All good advise. Yeah, I know that I have gotten in a little deeper than the average guy, but that's just how I roll sometimes. I'm a big guy and me starting off with anything less than a 600 would just look funny as heck. I did get to ride around the block on a friend's 600 (some old 91 Honda) and got my first taste. I did pretty good, and wasn't thinking the gas would be so touchy, and almost ended the ride in the first 500 feet. After that I rode around the block twice in my complex and got a lot better. And yes I had a helmet, jeans, and gloves on.

I am really looking forward to getting on my bike, but I don't think that is going to happen til next weekend when I take the class. After that, I will be willing to take the chance on my brand new F4i.

And by the way... What are the frame sliders that everyone is talking about?

Quick Reply: Ready for any advise...