F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Ready for any advise...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready for any advise...

So I have been thinking about buying a bike for the last 4 months and kept telling myself no. Then I walked in to a Honda dealer two days ago and bought a 06 F4i. Now here's the catch... I have never been on a bike a day in my life. I had to have friend of mine tell me how to even start it. (sad I know)

Now as for the riding and learning to shift and other stuff like that, I can get all that. I plan on taking a class so I can be legal to ride, but I just wanted some do's and don'ts of the bike world. I guess what I'm asking for is just any advise on owning a bike. Like I had a friend of mine that said never put the kickstand down on a soft spot. Not saying I was that dumb, but just any little advise. This is my first bike and I already love it and I haven't even been on it yet.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:28 AM
Default RE: Ready for any advise...

The fact that you havent even been on it yet shows some common sense....

Anyways, go at your own pace, dont let anyone force you to ride outside your skill level.

TAKE THE MSF CLASS!

Get some nice gear - Helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, and boots

TAKE THE MSF CLASS!

Grace is more important than speed. It will be more rewarding to take a turn gracefully, than to power through it and feel uncomfortable. Speed will come in time

TAKE THE MSF CLASS!

Dont be stupid. In a fight between a car and a bike, the car will always win.

TAKE THE MSF CLASS!

Take time to enjoy cleaning the bike. Its a good way to clear your mind going into a weekend filled with long rides.

TAKE THE MSF CLASS!

Ask a question you think is stupid, and you will get an answer. Dont ask a question, you may not learn something important and end up dead.

TAKE THE MSF CLASS!

And, before you gear up, take the class. A lot of bike shops will offer a discount to riders who have completed the safety course.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:35 AM

That's the kinda stuff that I'm looking for. It's hard to stay off it, but I plan to take the class next weekend and take my time from there. I'm not really a speed freak, so that part doesn't scare me, I'm more concerned about learning to control it so I can dodge the other idiots on the road.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:42 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

also maybe find some members from here that may live near you and meet up with them. just talk and socialize. see what hints,tips they have to offer you. before i started riding a few of the people around me had already been rding for about a few months. so i would always talk to them and see what they had to say just by learning more about the bikes themselves, then about technique. but you have th ebest idea alreay which is taking the class. i personally havent taken it yet and have been riding for 2 years. i plan to take it just to better myself and get my licence. anyways good luck and welcome to the culture !

Old 04-06-2007, 04:14 AM

1. Dont wave to Harley Davidsons.

2. Dont wave to Vespa's.

3. Dont wheelie on snow (learned that one personally)

4. Dont leave your helmet on your bike, even for a second. Carry it around, chicks dig it any way.

5. Get frame sliders.

6. Know how many miles your tank gets and dont forget to reset your trip odometer. (unless you like pushing your bike)

7. Stay away from sand.

thats all I can think of.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the first dont is dont buy a new bike, but oh well its not that bad of a move actually, reliable, decent financing etc...
here ill give you as many dos and donts as i can think of because im bored, mostly simple things, people on here like Tahoe and Abadfish, and several others can prolly give you some badass advice for corners

DONT-Put your kickstand down in a parking lot on a day above about 80 it will sink into the asphalt...

Put a metal plate under it, or put it on the white lines somethings that helps because its cooler than the asphalt, or put it on the white concrete thats used between curbs and sidwalks if you know what i mean

DONT-Listen to anyone wearing a chrome bucket helmet, their opinions are invalid...

DONT-Ride in shorts, vinyl, windbreakers, or any of that ****...
Wear jeans if you dont have riding pants, icon and alpinestars make double thick demin if you want its like 100 bucks

DONT-Ride over your head..
It will happen, but pushing yourself is the only way to get better, theres a fine line between pushing yourself and riding above your head, let faster rides just be faster, youll be there soon enough, if they dont wanna wait for ya, **** em.

DONT-Use CAR oil in your bike...

DONT-Park frontways in a space on any kind of decline,
Always back it in, pull in and park one day on a decline youll learn

DONT-Let your friends take a ride unless you have seen them ride, or they have a bike
Friend of mine lent his brand new katana out last week, the kid totalled it, enough said

DO-Assume that car is gonna turn left in front of you, cause it probably will,

DO-Ride as if you were invisible,
being dependant on cagers to see you is a great way to become paraplegic

DO-Find a good group to ride with..
every group has squids and noobs and then sick riders, youll find out whos who real quick

DO-Wear gear always, gloves jacket helmet, some form of boot and at least jeans

so basically dont be a squid, gear up, have fun, be patient with your riding, dont dont be stupid

Old 04-06-2007, 04:35 AM

hmm.....not really advice but i think its funny...and they prob wont expect you to think about this...

two things to do while stopped at a stop light ( providing no traffic... )

flip the kill/engine switch as the light turns green....smart ***? I know....
what really gets em though if you can is remove the key and drop it on the ground.....RIGHT by their foot....watch them try to pick it up.....they will have to get off their bike..as you take off honking your horn.

my brother and i are so cruel to each other......

Old 04-06-2007, 04:36 AM

haha all these guys are right man and definetly right on the course, that will help you tons. But here's my best advice man, i ride with a few guys who aren't up to our level and don't do track days, some push it too hard and they usually wreck their ****, the smart guys just hold back and ride at their own pace.

So my advice is to take it at your own pace. advice is worth exactly what you pay for it (nothing), so don't get pushed into riding out of your bounds and you'll love your new bike man.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:40 AM

ok but advice?
take it easy ANYTIME you first get on your bike. Your tires/brakes have to warm to work properly...
going around a corner? keep the throttle steady or slightly speed up...
i wave at anyone anyway...regardless
yes always gear up( cant ever say that enough)
HAVE FUN!

Old 04-06-2007, 05:49 AM

a few things i would just say cause no one told me but if u take the MSF course they will probably tell u all of this but

dont brake into corners like u can in a car doesnt work the same way.

make sure kickstand is down before u try to get off ur bike (almost dropped my bike that way got distracted and forgot to put it down)

DONT try and show off even for a second

ride at ur skill level and dont try to push it or the bike will most likely push back

dont brake hard with ur rear brake of u could slide the back tire out from under u

ride smooth, try not to jerk around or brake too hard or snap the throttle or anything like that could throw u out of control

ride like ur invisable

always leave urself an out inscase u have to swerve to avoid something

dont grap a handfull of brake in a panic if something suprises u it will probably end badly

dont ride where other cars wont expect u to come out like in between cars at a light and stuff like that

maintain ur bike to eliminate something braking on u and causing u to crash

wear all ur gear all the time

listen to most of the people on this forum alot of people on her really know what their talking about and have good advice

i didnt expect to put this many things but i diditn realize how many little things there were until i started trying to write them and there are still a countless number more, and im still a new rider myself this is just stuff i have realized over a little while

Quick Reply: Ready for any advise...