CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Re: Chain wear indicator question (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/re-chain-wear-indicator-question-132092/)

rlew 11-04-2011 04:26 PM

Re: Chain wear indicator question

I just bought a really nice 2002 F4i. Love it. The previous owner just changed out the chain prior to me buying it. He also changed out the sprockets to get more torque (rear 48, front 15). When I got the bike home, I noticed the chain was really slack and that the indicator showed the chain needed to be changed out (in the red). I adjusted tbe chain to the correct slack, all good. However, the indicator still shows that the chain needs to be changed out.

Now, assuming that the chain is new (I'm assuming the previous owner did not lie to me, seemed to be a very above board type and the bike is in excellent shape as advertised), I'm wondering if changing the sprockets causes the indicator to be off. The other possibility is tha when he installed the chain, he left an additonal link in there and the chain is simply too long.

So, I guess the question is: would a change in the size of the sprockets (48, 15) cause the indicator to be this far off? Not sue I want to deal with the hassle of removing a link only to find out that the chain is now too short.

Any insights? Thanks much.

Xander F4i 11-04-2011 08:46 PM

The wear indicators are for stock gearing...any change will set them off. The best way to know if the sprockets and chain are new would be to look at the teeth on the sprockets and then look at how the chain sits against the sprockets.

boredandstroked 11-05-2011 11:59 AM

Sounds like theres an extra link in the chain.

DonnyBrago 11-05-2011 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by rlew (Post 1111409)
I just bought a really nice 2002 F4i. Love it. The previous owner just changed out the chain prior to me buying it. He also changed out the sprockets to get more torque (rear 48, front 15). When I got the bike home, I noticed the chain was really slack and that the indicator showed the chain needed to be changed out (in the red). I adjusted tbe chain to the correct slack, all good. However, the indicator still shows that the chain needs to be changed out.

Now, assuming that the chain is new (I'm assuming the previous owner did not lie to me, seemed to be a very above board type and the bike is in excellent shape as advertised), I'm wondering if changing the sprockets causes the indicator to be off. The other possibility is tha when he installed the chain, he left an additonal link in there and the chain is simply too long.

So, I guess the question is: would a change in the size of the sprockets (48, 15) cause the indicator to be this far off? Not sue I want to deal with the hassle of removing a link only to find out that the chain is now too short.

Any insights? Thanks much.

Ignore the markings, they mean **** all, especially on a bike with non stock gearing.

If your chain is knackered then you wouldn't use the markings anyway. Easiest way is to pull a link away from the rear sprocket, if you get it to pull more than half the length of the sprocket tooth it is shagged and needs replacing. Also, your sprockets wear at a similar rate so they would be hooked, your chain might develop tight spots (i.e. when you measure the slack, spin the wheel and try again and you get huge variation) and develop stiff links, need frequent readjusting and just be in general a bit knackered looking.

If the chain and sprockets are in overall good condition but the markings were telling me to replace it, I'd do the sensible thing and ignore them.

rlew 11-05-2011 06:05 PM

Bingo to the second poster. An extra link in the chain. Removed it and all is good.

DonnyBrago 11-05-2011 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by rlew (Post 1111575)
Bingo to the second poster. An extra link in the chain. Removed it and all is good.

What benefit do you expect removing a link to produce?

boredandstroked 11-06-2011 12:57 AM

It will produce the correct position of the rear wheel in the axle. Longer chain= longer wheelbase. And we ALL know how everyone feels about extended swingarms on here, which do the same thing as running a longer chain.