F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Randomly dying electrical power fading in and out

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Randomly dying electrical power fading in and out

Over the last month or so my bike has starting acting funny on me. Its an 01 with just over 9k on it now. The idle and acceleration seem to be very choppy and inconsistent. I believe this has to due with an electrical issue. The inconsistency is accompanied by the dash going in and out. I can turn the bike on and often times the dash fades in and out along with the headlights and im assuming the tail lights as well although i haven't gone to the back of the bike to check. Twice i have turned the key and had the electric go out completely including the clock which always stays on. The first time i parked it made some phone calls and was going to try to bump start it however when i turned it back on it worked again. The second time when i put the kickstand back down the lights all shot back on and were strong so is leading me to believe the kickstand switch may have something to do with it. Often while at idle or just above idle driving around the dash dims in and out as well and have had it go out along with the motor at stop lights several times as well as while i was moving with the clutch pulled in. Initially thinking the injectors may be dirty from the rough idle and acceleration i ran seafoam through a tank however didnt seem to help. The bike is garaged kept however does see some water here and there if it decides to rain a bit while at class. The only things that are done as far as wiring to the bike are hid headlights which i put in long before this started happening and an undertail kit which came on the bike when i got it. O and the fuel injection light is not on nor have i ever seen it pop on.

Any advice is appreciated would like some input before i start digging into it.

Thanks cbrf

Dave

Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

first place i would start is checking electrical connectors for corrosion, loose connections, or burned up wires/connectors. put a voltmeter across the battery and check the standing, cranking, and charging voltages. make double sure that stuff is all good before chasing your problem deeper.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 AM

More importantly Dave is:
1. Who is that girl on your bike?
2. Is that even your bike?
3. If so, spoon pic. (not you...the girl)
4. If 1,2 and 3 are known, true and posted....... post more.

About your electrical issue: whatever 74demon said.

Last edited by Trey929RR; 11-07-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM

The battery checked out connections were clean and tight Ig off 13.4 Ig on 12.6 cranking 11.7 running 14.4. Also checked the error codes while i had the seat off and came up with 9,12,13,14 and 15. Checked in manual and 9 was an issue with the iat sensor and 12-15 were the injectors.

Originally Posted by Trey929RR
More importantly Dave is:
1. Who is that girl on your bike?
2. Is that even your bike?
3. If so, spoon pic. (not you...the girl)
4. If 1,2 and 3 are known, true and posted....... post more.

About your electrical issue: whatever 74demon said.
Ha nah bike nor girl are mine got a pic of the girl on the old katana but not on the cbr yet. shall have to get her to strike a pose in spring for me. Is a solid picture though

Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

run the bike and wiggle the harness and connectors. try a cause the issue by moving things. don't forget the kickstand switch and harness. if you can get it to act up, look at the voltages again while its doing it.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:54 PM

^+1 on checking the harnesses, I recently got an f4i and joined here. After I removed the plastics to change the coolant and oil, I hooked everything up and reinstalled them and my lights weren't working right. I googled it and found a few others with the same issue. It turned out the sub harness on the left side has a loose connection somewhere. I played with it for awhile and finally got it to stay, but all I have to do is **** the plug a little and the lights won't work.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:45 PM

Ill try to take another look at it tomorrow or friday. Dont have any tools of my own at my apt besides a screw driver so have to go over to the fsae shop at school. Should i look at the connections to the ecu, the areas defined from the fi codes or just all the connections in general? Figure might as well pop off the ones easy to get to and check they are tight and clean. O and for looking at the voltages check at the battery again or at the connector/harness im looking at? Electrical stuff confuses me much rather have a mechanical issue.

Thanks

Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stop at a auto store and grab a can of contact cleaner and a can of spray di-electrical
lube. As you pull each connector, use the cleaner first, then hose the di-electrical into
the connector and re-connect. Work your way through the entire harness. Yes, it's a
PITA, but, it's a cheap way to ensure the health/reliability of an often neglected/ignored
essential system.

With luck that will be the end of it. While doing all that, be sure to look at the pins on the
connectors for signs of heat. Burn/charring, warped/melted plastic, etc. Be through, take
your time and you won't have to re-visit this particular source of potential failure.

Particularly, be aware of the R/R, it is a common failure point in the electrical system on
Honda motorcycles.

Good luck, Ern