CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Radiator hoses/rear shock HELP!!!! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/radiator-hoses-rear-shock-help-121353/)

mattrick 02-17-2011 08:11 PM

Radiator hoses/rear shock HELP!!!!

Quick question...has anyone changed out their radiator hoses? I have an 02 f4i and have to change them out and am having a tough time. I have the top half of the bike tore down to the motor, however I really do not want to tear the fuel rail off. I cannot get my fat hands in through anywhere else it seems. The only other option is to take the rear shock loose which is ok, however I have never messed with a coil over shock or a shock on a bike period. Is there some sort of a spring in the rear swing arm like on a old VW or does the shock hold the entire thing up. In other words, is the rear shock under pressure and therefore will I need to support the subframe with a cherry-picker or something else to keep it from slamming down? Dumb question I know, however I want to ask instead of fixing something else. I never knew there were so many stinking radiator hoses on that bike...WOW My upper hose has a small leak so I went to order the new upper and lower when to my surprise, the dealership informed me of the other 1.5 miles worth hidden!!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I screwed around and didn't order my parts in time and missed out on this wonderful 73 degree day..a couple more nicer days and bake to sub-freezing temps........come on spring!!!

crazychris1981 02-17-2011 11:35 PM

the spring is mounted on the shock and will come out as one unit...you will need to support the rear of the bike so, #1 you can take the shock off, and #2 so the rear doesn't slam down on the tire...i have never replaced the hoses before so i do not know if you have to take off the shock... but i have replaced my rear swing arm and shock with a rr..

redzintimidator 02-17-2011 11:51 PM

taking fuel hose off is no big deal really...just take the bolt, and banjo fitting off from the throttle bodies. you might be able to get away with just tilting the tank back, pulling the throttle bodies off the engine. I usually just take the tank off so i dont have to mess with balancing it.

usafstud 02-17-2011 11:52 PM

put jacks under the rearsets. shock removal should take about 20 minutes. pretty easy to do

mattrick 02-18-2011 09:10 AM

Thanks everyone! I am leaning more towards simply removing the rear shock instead of fuel rail and throttle bodies just for the simple reason that the shock is A. easier to remove as I will only have to remove the top bolt from frame to push it out of the way and B. I do not have to worry about getting an air leak or breaking something on the throttle bodies this way. I have wanted a sportbike for some years and thoroughly enjoy riding this one that I purchased last summer, however I really do not like working on it! Last year I had to replace the cam chain tensioner lifter which took quite some time (when I was pulling the socket and extension out of the access hole in the frame it pulled the socket off and went into hiding somewhere at the bottome of the bike and it took me an extra hour or two to tear more apart just to get to it). I am use to dirtbikes where everything is right there out in the open, well at least on the 2 strokes, never worked on a 4 stroke. Anyway, I SERIOUSLY appreciate everyone replying to this and helping me out!! I was pretty sure the rear shock was the only thing holding the bike up, just wanted someone else to tell me that...you know reassurance! The last of the parts should be in this afternoon and hopefully I will get to work on it, however the wife might have different plans for me. Either way I will be working on it today or next Monday and I will keep you all posted.

mattrick 02-19-2011 10:08 AM

Update: I ended up not having to take off the rear shock of throttle bodies. Once I removed the upper radiator hose, it allowed me to have access to the rest of the hoses. Can anyone explain the two smaller hoses tucked away in there called the Fast Idle hoses or something like that? That is what the dealership said. They said something about some wax dripping down or something? I was pretty sure, and still convinced, they were just messing with me even though they say no. Any ideas??

Thanks for your help everyone!!