F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

race fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006 | 02:14 AM
Default RE: race fuel

i run nothing lower than 93 octane and they have plenty of compression to runner higher octanes im pretty sure they are 12 to 1 compression, but i wouldnt recommend staright race fuel unless uve programmed ur bike for it.

I live life a quarter mile at a time.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8839/78AD26B025124DE0BAFA7652B5798ECF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-05-2006 | 03:17 AM
Fox
Banned

Are you guys on OPEC's Christmas card list or what?

Old 07-05-2006 | 04:23 PM

buahhahhaha....funny mang!
running higher octane does make you faster! but it kills the distance you can get with the bike...how?
like this...

you wallet is much lighter...so you have better HP to weight ratio...so you become faster...
drawbike is you can't go as far...because you can't buy as much gas as you can if you run what is recommended.

i think people need to take some physics courses here and make informed decisions backed by mechanics, science, and facts...

Old 07-05-2006 | 05:17 PM
Fox
Banned

^^^

They're living the lie. I just double checked my manual. It's 86 octane. Maybe it's different in the 2004+ models?

Old 07-05-2006 | 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

buahhahhaha....funny mang!
running higher octane does make you faster! but it kills the distance you can get with the bike...how?
like this...

you wallet is much lighter...so you have better HP to weight ratio...so you become faster...
drawbike is you can't go as far...because you can't buy as much gas as you can if you run what is recommended.

i think people need to take some physics courses here and make informed decisions backed by mechanics, science, and facts...
Ha
I notices a diffence w/ Octane fuels. I had a lowend hesitation problem when I switched to 87. Unfortunately, my mech also lowered my idle to around 1100. I changed back to 93 and adjusted idle back to 1300. No more hesistation.

Intersting discussion. I will run 87 next tankful and observe results. I get about 120 miles out of 93 octane.

Old 07-05-2006 | 05:30 PM
Fox
Banned

I think we found that access demand in petroleum.

Old 07-05-2006 | 06:28 PM

yo bird...1100 is low mang...if you hit track hard and twists hard, increase to like up there but 1K is too low...for anything.

well recommended is at least 86, but you'll need to adjust based on various factors, like engine life, timing, etc...as all these things play part in the amount of octane the bike really needs.

for instance, i bike with lots of carbon build up should use higher octane fuels to prevent predetonation since the carbon build up is making the engine running hotter and even at higher compression than it was before, so something like 87 that used to work for it now will start to burn too quickly...so you need something that's less combustible...like 92 octane, etc.

so certain bikes may require it, and some claims that higher octane makes the bike run better are valid...but it's not due to the octane that it's running better, it's due to the factors of the bike that makes it need higher octane gas. also, i high compresison ratio itself doesn't mean that you need higher octane...it's a general truth but not absolute truth...other things like timing, air/fuel, etc...all come together in determining octane requirements.

Old 07-06-2006 | 04:21 AM

i run what ever is recomended by the manufature in my car. the way octain was explained to me is that the octain rating is the stability of the fuel under pressure. this has been explain to me by many people and if you guys watch the history channel they have some great information explaining how fuel is made and how it works. if octain is the stablity of fuel under pressure then compression would determin your octain rating.

Old 07-06-2006 | 04:23 AM

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

any drag racer that is experienced enough for you to actually listen to will tell you that they use race gas on bikes with engine work and/or dyno tuned for that specific gas. A lot of racers have 2 different maps for their bike, one for pump gas and one for race gas.

they don't just throw expensive gas and go fast, well the stupid ones might but obviously those aren't the ones that you wanna listen to
Very well said..In my experiances running cars with 02 sensors 93 octane gas is the only and best fuel to use..If I run low at the track I will buy a couple gallons of 104 Sunoco unleaded to get buy with..Not in my current motor but the one before I tried to run a mixture of AV gas and 93 octane and seen no improvements in performance and had to replace 2 $90.00 02 sensors because the lead screwed them up..

The new 402ci motor I'm running now was tuned on pump gas and has a compression of around 11.2:1 and the car ran a 10.50 @ 126 with the AFR's running 12.8-13.0 ..I'm sure bikes that run off their 02's would need to run at those AFR's to make maximum power because I would think anything more would be way to lean..I run a AEM wideband 02 gauge in the car along with a scan master to watch 02's to make sure the car is running where its suppose to..

And one other thing and this again is running my car and it may be different running bikes but Air density can be your best freind or your worse enemy..I can tell the difference on my F4I when the air is good then it is when its trying to suck in 100 degree heat/60% humidity air....But to make a long story short LEAD is the devil and your better off running pump fuel..

Old 07-06-2006 | 06:08 PM

High octane gas would retard the ignition timing, just because it burns slower.... probably not the best idea.

The octane number on gasoline dictates how it will behave under presure - low octane gasoline is more unstable and will ignite faster under pressure as opposed to high octane gasoline. That's why tuner motors (read: high compression) use race gas - otherwise they'd get preignition. When you put 100+ octane gas into your bike, it will delay the ignition (87 gas would ignite some time before 115) that the ecu is mapped for and most likely rob you of horespower.

Quick Reply: race fuel