F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

race fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006 | 01:17 PM
Default RE: race fuel

leaded gas will jack up your O2 sensor...if your bike has one...which i think all the F4is now do.

Old 07-04-2006 | 09:06 AM

Higher octane fuel will actualy cost you horsepower...If any one is curious how I can go into a big long how that works thing, but think of it this way...a supercharger costs you say...25% of your power to gain 100 hp....in that case you are still up hp...useing race fuel causes you to loose hp beacuse it burns slower...and if you have no component to offset that like...a supercharger, then there is no benifit...I have also dyno tested this myself on my drag car to fuind the best fuel to run and after a point, higher octane started loosing me hp...basicly you are retarding the timing once you go much past the octane the engine is tuned too.

Old 07-04-2006 | 05:24 PM

stock F4i engines don't have enough compression to take advantage of higher octane fuel, and running it on a stock engine without being mapped properly will result in either crappy performance, engine damage, or both

if your running race gas to make your bike go faster you may want to first look at the most common cause of a slow bike, THE RIDER

if your really just doing it cause you can get some for cheap, you may want to consider the risks that I mentioned above. imo its not worth it

Old 07-04-2006 | 06:39 PM

i thought 95 octane is what Honda recommends?

Old 07-04-2006 | 07:44 PM

I think its 93 octane that Honda recomends, Runnin 87 or lower seems like it would be worse on the bike. If race fuel burned slower than how could you get more horsepower out of it at the track. ??????????????? Uhhh I think its time we listen to the drag car owners on this one.

Higher octane gas has cleaners in it and its better for your bike and car.

Old 07-04-2006 | 10:49 PM

Avgas is the worst thing to run in a bike or a car. Say goodbye to your head gasket. Its not even race gas, it is totally different then race gas. I would never put that in my bike or car. There is no weight to it unlike race gas. If you understand gas you will know what I am talking about. No matter how you mix Avgas with regular gas it will never mix. As soon as its in the tank it will seperate from the regular gas. It will all float to the top. So when you go throught the regular gas at the bottom of the tank then you are sucking in straight Avgas. There is no way to keep it mixed. Just riding the bike will not keep it mixed. Ask any one who knows anything about motors for cars or bikes and they will tell you never to use Avgas.

Using race gas will gain you nothing in your bike. With a stock motor you will lose a little hp and could get some nice looking pistons using it, and I don't mean nice in a good way.

So people think its cool because it race fuel. But it will net no gains in a stock bike. Now throw in some bigger pistons and some head work and race gas will be your friend.

Old 07-04-2006 | 11:13 PM

^^ what he said is right, your bike will run very lean with it to ..and cause it to run very hot ..could burn a hole on teh top of your piston ..all cars running that **** have high qaulity forged pistons

Old 07-04-2006 | 11:14 PM

in order to benefit from race fuel; YOU HAVE TO BE TUNED FOR IT enuff said
if you think youre gaining hp you need to educate yourself

Old 07-05-2006 | 01:49 AM
Fox
Banned

My 2002 manual says 86.

Old 07-05-2006 | 01:52 AM

any drag racer that is experienced enough for you to actually listen to will tell you that they use race gas on bikes with engine work and/or dyno tuned for that specific gas. A lot of racers have 2 different maps for their bike, one for pump gas and one for race gas.

they don't just throw expensive gas and go fast, well the stupid ones might but obviously those aren't the ones that you wanna listen to

Quick Reply: race fuel