Quick Sprocket Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use a speedohealer to correct the speedometer being off

Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nickp123
This would be true for highway cruising in 6th gear. Anything else you can pop it into the next gear and your gas mileage will not decrease and may even improve. I usually dont go higher than 3rd or 4th gear for everyday riding in residential areas. So the type of riding you mostly do is also a factor. Plus if he goes with the 520 chain and aluminum sprocket the weight and mass reduction will also help his gas mileage.
If someone is worried about gas milage they're going to be in 6th gear everywhere they go. Im in 6th by 40-45mph. So yes the gear changing will affect gas milage.
Originally Posted by MuscleswitCBR
Also you said the 520 with aluminum sprockets wear faster, How much faster are we talking? Like ill have to change them every season? and Lastly would this set up make wheelies easier lol jw? Thanks again for helping I really appreciate it!
My renthal rear sprockets would last around 14,000 miles if I remember correctly. Yes more torque applied to the rear wheel [gearing change] will make wheelies easier.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 PM

MuscleswitCBR: if you want to give it a try, i am taking off a 48T 520 rear sprocket from my track bike.

Make me an offer. Its a cheap and easy mod. If you dont like the outcome, you can always easily swap it back and move the sprocket onto the next guy.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Nickp is way off base here. The 520 conversion is NOT any "faster" than a 525 set-up. Ok you might save a tenth or two on your track time (so I guess it is a little (very little) faster), but for what it's worth, you'll be better off getting a 525 kit in the gear ratio you desire (16/46, 15/48 or whatever, mine is 16/50 and 15/50 when I wanna get spirited). The 525 chain is alot stronger than its 520 equivalent (check any mfg.s website and compare their 525 chain to their otherwise identical 520 chain noting their tensile strength). Like previously stated, how often do you ride at 140 mph? More often than stop n go street riding? Proly not. You need to weigh the pros n cons of all the changes and decide what is best for you. If all you do is street riding, mostly under 60mph, then you'll be happy with the 15/48 gearing, if you do alot of freeway riding, you might wanna stick with stock gearing or even get a smaller rear sprocket. If you rarely do track days, then stick with the 525 setup and find some steel sprockets, the weight reduction (to me) is not worth giving up the longevity. For nickp it obviously is worth the sacrifice. So while he'll be replacing chain n sprockets soon, I'll be riding the same kit for years to come.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
Wow Nickp is way off base here. The 520 conversion is NOT any "faster" than a 525 set-up. Ok you might save a tenth or two on your track time (so I guess it is a little (very little) faster), but for what it's worth, you'll be better off getting a 525 kit in the gear ratio you desire (16/46, 15/48 or whatever, mine is 16/50 and 15/50 when I wanna get spirited). The 525 chain is alot stronger than its 520 equivalent (check any mfg.s website and compare their 525 chain to their otherwise identical 520 chain noting their tensile strength). Like previously stated, how often do you ride at 140 mph? More often than stop n go street riding? Proly not. You need to weigh the pros n cons of all the changes and decide what is best for you. If all you do is street riding, mostly under 60mph, then you'll be happy with the 15/48 gearing, if you do alot of freeway riding, you might wanna stick with stock gearing or even get a smaller rear sprocket. If you rarely do track days, then stick with the 525 setup and find some steel sprockets, the weight reduction (to me) is not worth giving up the longevity. For nickp it obviously is worth the sacrifice. So while he'll be replacing chain n sprockets soon, I'll be riding the same kit for years to come.
First of all Id like to know how Im way off base? The 520 chain and aluminum sprockets are lighter so its less rotational mass and less unsprung weight that needs to be driven so its robbing less power and will improve acceleration, which you actually agreed on me with after you said I was wrong sooo im not sure why youd say im way off base. Second of all if you read correctly I said I use the stock sprockets, gearing, and chain so unless your stock parts are more durable than mine Im pretty sure ill be able to get just as much use out of them as you, if you want to be a smart@$$. If you can prove me wrong id be more than happy to listen and admit I gave him incorrect information but until then I dont think im the one thats way off base here. Not to mention the fact that i also told him they wear out faster and may need to be replaced every season or every other season from what ive been told. He's asking for information regarding increasing performance through changing his sprockets and chain without sacrificing top speed and Im pretty sure i was fairly accurate in giving him the pros and cons of a couple different setups.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nick, I don't think you're way off base at all if it helps any. lol...

I'm not a big fan of the aluminum/520 setups either, btw. It's just not worth it for a street bike or an occasional track day ride. Steel will last longer.
Or I guess you could get one of those super cool space sprockets that have aluminum carriers and steel teeth, but those biches are real expensive.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:36 PM

Well thank you kilgore. Yeah Id probably buy one of those once just to do it then id be over it by the time it wore out and id go back to all steel. Those titanium ones intrigue me though. $180 but a "lifetime warranty", if you ever wear it out theyll send you a new one for free. Sounds like a good deal, never having to worry about changing a sprocket again, but it also just sounds like a gimmick, not sure how i feel on that one.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 PM

Thank you guys for all the great info and I appreciate it. I was actually just going to ask which would be better between 520 or 525 lol so thanks for answering that for me too. Yeah I ride my bike alot and mainly just street riding so I think im guna stick with steel sprockets and 525 chain with +2 in the rear bc I dont wana replace them every season. Thanks for the sprocket offer Tori but I want to stay 525. Who makes some good sprockets that last? and would a D.I.D chain be a good choice? Thanks again!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:43 AM

You can get 525 rk gold q/a kits on ebay for like 150-180, just install the back sprocket and hang on to the front or sell it and make some money back. Theyre solid pieces that you should be happy with. Unless scoobysnacks wants to tell me im way off with my info again.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by nickp123
Well thank you kilgore. Yeah Id probably buy one of those once just to do it then id be over it by the time it wore out and id go back to all steel. Those titanium ones intrigue me though. $180 but a "lifetime warranty", if you ever wear it out theyll send you a new one for free. Sounds like a good deal, never having to worry about changing a sprocket again, but it also just sounds like a gimmick, not sure how i feel on that one.
Titanium sprockets? Really? That surprises me. Titanium flexes a lot more than steel or aluminum. It is much tougher though. Probably would never fail.

EDIT: Wow, nvm about aluminum. Al flexes way more than Steel and more than Ti also. Ti should last much longer though than either.

Last edited by Ragnar1x; 11-19-2010 at 01:16 PM.