F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question

It seems that when I am cruising at say 70 with the throttle up, once i let go of it, the bike actually throws me forward as it starts slowing down fairly quickly. I am concerned about this. Mainly because if my breaks are engaged, I could be grinding them down, and of course loosing gas mileage which in this time is really bad. Any ideas or things that I can check. I have noticed that in the past that if my bike is on the stands and the wheels off the ground, if i try to spin the wheels, they stop pretty quick. normal or not. Maybe this is just me being over cautious with the thing because it has been so long since riding last year due to the winter.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: quick question

what you're describing is engine braking...depending on the gear you are in, it will be worse....

for example....riding at 70 in 6th and letting off the throttle will not throw you as hard as being at 70 in 4th and letting off the throttle....the higher the rpms where you let off the throttle, the harder the engine braking will be.....

this leads to the importance of being in the right gear for your speed as well as learning clutch and brake control....

this is just my opinion though...any others?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: ffingers

what you're describing is engine braking...depending on the gear you are in, it will be worse....

for example....riding at 70 in 6th and letting off the throttle will not throw you as hard as being at 70 in 4th and letting off the throttle....the higher the rpms where you let off the throttle, the harder the engine braking will be.....

this leads to the importance of being in the right gear for your speed as well as learning clutch and brake control....

this is just my opinion though...any others?

+1 That's my answer but I'm not a rocket scientist

Old 04-09-2008, 05:48 PM

Well I was in 6th when I am going that high of speeds. But I probablu shouldn't be worried. I also have the wierd grinding/vibrating I can feel on the handlebars when going 50+. Is it me just getting overly worried about **** cuz it has been a while since i have been on the bike?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:51 PM

Its engine braking....if it is your brakes then they will eventually wear down enough to stop it soon.

Have you replaced your brakes lately? It typically happens on fresh pads.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:30 PM

nope never have in 2 years

Old 04-09-2008, 08:27 PM

Easy way to find out. Are the brake discs hot as hell when coasting to a stop?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 PM

Get a flashlight and inspect your brake pads. There is a notch in them that is a wear marker. If you cant see a notch in the center of the pads, than they probably are worn past limits. If you havnt touched the brakes in two years you should atleast bleed them and or replace your fluid.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 PM

The bike has no problem stopping. But I will check the pads tomorrow and see if I can see anything. Also is their a tutorial stating/showing how to bleed the brakes on my bike?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Glocker23

The bike has no problem stopping. But I will check the pads tomorrow and see if I can see anything. Also is their a tutorial stating/showing how to bleed the brakes on my bike?

Bleeding brakes is basicaly the same for every bike.

Here is a basic tutorial...

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/brakes.htm

I would also recommend Speed Bleeders..

https://www.riverwayracing.com/store...t=0&page=1

One of the best and easiest way to bleed your brakes....took me about 20 minutes probably less to do front a rear about a week ago.

Quick Reply: quick question