F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

question on tinted helmet visors, not sure where to post...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on tinted helmet visors, not sure where to post...

hey, i just recieved my AC-11 HJC helmet and am wanting either a mirrored finish visor or a dark smoke visor. I know these are good for the sun in the daytime, but how is nighttime driving...is it hard to see out of these?

Old 05-04-2006, 04:21 AM
Default RE: question on tinted helmet visors, not sure where to post...

it is more difficult, but do-able. If I'm around the house at night, I'll usually swing by and pick up my clear visor instead of using the shaded one. I think you can get a ticket for riding with that at night as well. I'm not positive though.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:30 AM

yeah, i ride with a mirrored visor and I love it. i have this thing to hold my clear visor around my torso that is anti scratch and all that so if i am going to be riding day into night, i can carry them both and not have to carry a bag. it is made by motrax and i got it from www.cyclegear.com for like $15. money well spent.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:12 AM

i have an Icon helmet and have the mirror finish face shield on it..ride at night and still see the road and everything around me sort of...but i like the tinted shield due to the fact that it prevents me from getting blinded by those damn cagers...espcially the ones that have their high beams on

Old 05-04-2006, 10:23 AM

I use a full mirrored on my Arai and I have to tell you, it's kind of a pain in the ****. I'm always have to wonder if it's going to get dark while I'm riding or not, cause you cannot see at all through that thing at night. Also, alot of people feel that you're safer if drivers can see your eyes (and you their's) when you're riding. With the mirrored nobody can see squat, so they can't tell if you're looking at them or not.

After owning a dark mirrored I'd suggest getting a lighter tint only, don't go too dark. Too dark really isn't practical.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:32 PM

Yeah I've got a dark smoke shield for my helmet and i love riding with it, in the daytime. You can ride with it at night, I just take curves a lot more carefully, beacuse of you can't see as far ahead of you. If i know I'm gonna be riding at night then i'll just ride with the clear shield and it's not too big of a hassle.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:46 PM

Tinted shields suck at night .......

Old 05-04-2006, 01:59 PM

I have a Mirrored, Dark Smoke, Light Smoke, and Irridium. In MY opinion, the light smoke is OK at night (in town is fine). I hate my mirrored and irridium shield. Seems like they are magnets to things that will scratch them. And the smallest scratch on them at night is extremely annoying. I love the dark smoke in the day, but is hard to see thru at night. I'd say get a light smoke if you're going to ride day/night a lot. I'm rarely on the hiway at night tho, so I just go with dark smoke during the day, and flip it up in town at night.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:55 PM

I wouldn't ride with a smoke visor at night, I change to a clear one

on a similar note a new helmet is coming out called Akuma that will come with a photochromatic visor (works like the glasses that goes from clear to dark depending on how bright it is)
the company that makes them tried to market these visors to the major helmet companies but none of them went for it so they decided to make the leap into making their own helmets. They should be out in the next 6 months (I'm guessing)
I know the guy that has been testing the visor for over a year now and is going to be using the helmet to race in this year, so its definitely good stuff, but you won't be able to buy the visor itself for your current helmet. I may buy one myself if I crash the helmet I've got now, just to check it out. Seems like an awesome idea.
I'm not advertising just letting ya'll know that you can't buy the visor but there will be a helmet that has a "sunshift" visor, I thought it was pretty cool

Old 05-04-2006, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: woodyracing
what kind of paint did you use on that helmet? i have that same helmet and it is starting to peel and crack on the back part....can i use just regular spray paint or does it have to be a special paint?

Quick Reply: question on tinted helmet visors, not sure where to post...