CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   question..... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/question-83248/)

jaynd 11-25-2008 06:01 PM

question.....

so my F4i sits in the garage now until spring when i can do my 1st trackday(s). the bike has no tags/insurance but atleast once or twice a week i'll ride it up and down my street, which totals maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile.

im curious if i still need to put something, such as Stabil, in my gas tank......or whats best to do w/ it, as i DO still take it out here and there during the week to keep things moving (i live in MD and unlike you CA people, we have a winter). like right now, my tank is on reserve. should i fill it up all the way and keep doing what i've been doing, or is it best to not fill it back up all the way, ooooooooor do i need to keep doing what im doing but put Stabil in it?

dumbass questions.......sure, but i am afraid of getting rust in the tank, as i've heard of it happening over winter and want to completely avoid that.

thank you F4i gods.

some guy #2 11-25-2008 06:10 PM

RE: question.....

Fill the tank to the very top and rust wont form. I use stabil but hate how it ruins a tank of gas.

jaynd 11-25-2008 06:12 PM

thanks for the reply, someguy#2. out of curiosity, what did the Stabil do to your gas tank?

i guess i'll go ahead and keep it at the top.

firemanron 11-25-2008 06:46 PM

I have never added Stabil to the gas tank. You dont need to ride it either. I leave mine in the garage and start in once a week during the months I do not ride. I let it run for about 10 minutes or so and let the temperature get up a little. Thats it. Thats all you have to do. It will not rust nor will your bike have any problems by the time spring comes. Ive been doing this for a while now.

jaynd 11-25-2008 07:01 PM

^ oh, i also ride it........................b/c i LOVE it, lol. its my 1st bike and the 10' two bros slip-on still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when i hear its deep tone, haha. so i enjoy taking it out once or twice a week. i appreciate the help/reply, chief.

Icecreamman 11-25-2008 07:30 PM

I pretty much do the same thing as you do but a lil less riding and more idling! lol....It's cold...Just make sure you have it on some stands because your tire will get really cold if you have it on a non heated garage...I'm do not add stable but I did change the oil...A lot of people just say change the oil before you park it and ad a little stable and pull the battery or put it on a tenor...I told myself why license it if I'm not riding it everyday? Or insure it...

Eric

some guy #2 11-25-2008 09:53 PM

The stabil (IMO) made my bike sluggish and it went away the more I rode. I can't say it was the stabil for sure so who knows. If you're going to ride it every once in a while I wouldn't even worry about it. Are you prepping our bike for the track or are you jsut going to use it as is?

04_CBR 11-25-2008 10:20 PM

Change the oil in the spring not before you store. Oil will breakdown over time of just sitting there.

jaynd 11-26-2008 03:39 AM

im just using the bike as is. honestly i dont know what all i have to do to it, besides tape up the headlights/turn signals. i also am afraid i'll have to remove my slip-on b/c it will be too loud. i saw that Team Pro-Motion has decibal limits. not sure what i'll have to do to the bike exactly.

fishfryer527 11-26-2008 07:29 AM

short trips will not allow the motor to burn off the condensation in the oilcreated by the previous short trip that may cause a little problem after a few years. You are probably better off just changing the oil and not riding it all winter. But I would roll it around a little to exercise the bearings and whatnot. Stabil has never hosed me up or my 1970 corvette, but that has a carb, not FI so I guess it is a little different.