F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Putting bike in cargo van-Suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Putting bike in cargo van-Suggestions please

Getting ready for my event. A buddy is lending me his trailer, but...rental company I was going to use don't have hitches attached to vehicles nor allow towing. So PLAN-B is to get a rental cargo van from them and strap it down. There's plenty of room except there's no tie down points on the floor. On the door side, there are holes big enough to run the straps through so I don't have a problem there, but the other side has no place apparent to strap the bike to.

Does anyone have any suggestions on solving this problem? BTW-the cargo van rental is the most cost effective for this venture. PLAN-C is to buy an older Accord that a friend is practically giving to me and have a hitch mounted.

Rather put the bike in the cargo van. I have ratchet straps and loops.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Putting bike in cargo van-Suggestions please

can you wrap the straps around where the seats are bolted to the ground?

there MUST be sturdy places to wrap the straps...

also will you be using a chock or ONLY straps?

Old 03-25-2008, 06:57 PM

I used a cargo van when I purchased my Ninja 250. I do not remember if it had spots in the floor or not. If it did not have spots in the floor, I think I hooked the tiedowns to some type of metal strip that was reinforcing the walls. Look at the type of van you want to use and see if the columns have oval shaped holes in them. Sometimes they cut spaces out of the upright supports for the walls to cut down on weight. Ideally you would want to tie it to the floor, but if you can get them onto the walls maybe it would suffice. On the other hand, the 250 weighs a bit less than a CBR and I was sitting next to it on a plastic lawn chair the whole drive back.

Something that I just thought of.... Maybe you can get a nice sturdy (I dont know if 3/4 would be overkill) piece of plywood, cut it so it fits in the back of the van (you may not even have to cut it). Find a good D anchor (something like a piece ofthick guagesteel bent over a D ring) and fasten four (or however many you wanted) into the corners of the plywood. Slide the plywood into the back ofthe van and load the bike ontop of the plywood. Tie the bike down onto the anchors and you should be set. Depending on the floor of the van you may have to be concerned with the bike and plywood sliding. I think you could fix that easily by putting something under the plywood (like rubber drawer mats).

Hope this offers some new insight into your problem.

Edit- After reading kikers post, you could probably fasten a wheel chock to the plywood and it would make it that much more solid.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:54 AM

Thanks. I like that idea.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:53 PM

No problem, I like that idea too. I bet it has been done before. It seems like a real simple solution for the problem.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:03 PM

check this out too - https://cbrforum.com/m_166511/tm.htm

Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 PM

rent a pickup instead?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 AM

Kiker- Thanks. I'd forgotten about that writeup. Too bad I can't bolt down the plywood in a rental van.
Bwayers- The rental pickup is about $140 more and in short supply.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:51 PM

I picked up my 2001 cbr in a 2007 gmc savana.

I used 5 tie straps and a handle bar strap. 4 with hooks, 2 without.

Bike in head first kick stand down, right handle bar strap tied down to side door with hook, left side handle bar strap into pillar behind drivers seat.

Left side and right side straps non hooked double wrapped around sub frame behind rear pegs and then double wrapped to pillar gap in middle of van left side to left and right side to right.

Last strap from rear left corner of van through wheel to right rear corner of van to ensure bike does not lunge forward, counteracting tightness of first two straps installed.

now when you tighten it properly the bike should stand up perfectly straight and with the stand down shouldnt even touch the ground

Old 03-27-2008, 03:24 PM

Damn, I wishI could find that old thread that shows a minivan that pulls up next to a bike and then shows two guys walking by stealing the bike by putting it thru the side door. Only took a matter of a about 20seconds, I don't see what the big deal is LOL

Quick Reply: Putting bike in cargo van-Suggestions please