F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Problem installing my new HID kit from DDM on a '06 F4I, Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem installing my new HID kit from DDM on a '06 F4I, Help Please!

I recently installed the 35W 6000K HID kit on my 2006 CBR F4I and everything went great except for one thing. The actual bulb that goes into the headlight housing seems to be shorter on the back side where the wires come out. When I put it in the housing, it seats in nice and firm, however, when I screw down that little metal "wire/clamp" looking piece that holds the bulb into the housing there's a little bit of space so the bulb isn't held firmly in place. It is close enough that it keeps the bulb from falling out of the housing, however, it's not firmly in place like the stock bulbs were. So, I proceeded to go ahead and put the big rubber boot on the back of the headlight housing hoping that may be enough to keep the bulb from rattling around. So far, I think it holds the bulb well enough that it will work, but I feel like the bulb rattles in the housing when I hit little bumps in the road because I can see the light flicker in the reflection in signs and windows. Has anyone else had this problem when installing DDM Tuning HID kits on their F4I's? If so, any help or advice is appreciated... Thanks! -Robbie

Last edited by rodonne1; 06-16-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the stock bulb housing needs to be trimmed some more, if you havent already. It definitely fits nice and snug once enough plastic has been removed.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 PM

I dotn remember if I had to trim my hid bulbs or not. Just compare the bulb to your stock one and see if the tabs look the same.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
Sounds like the stock bulb housing needs to be trimmed some more, if you havent already. It definitely fits nice and snug once enough plastic has been removed.

Sick97ss,

I actually followed your step by step post on how to install them and trimmed the plastic the exact same way that you did, however, the problem lies in how far the buld goes into the housing. It goes in and feels like it seats into the housing nicely except for when I put that little wire clamp thing on to the back of the bulb, it's as if it needs to be able to tighten down a little more but I have the screw screwed all the way in as far it goes. the bulb itself has a little wire/tube thing that runs down the length of the glass, that part is facing down towards the ground is that the same way that your bulbs sit in the headlight housing?

Last edited by rodonne1; 06-16-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:18 PM

I thought the metal clamp was held in place with the screw and you actually un hook it instead of taking the screw off. Its hard to explain but I dont remember taking that screw out last year when I installed hids on my bike.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pictures will help solve this in no time!!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:42 PM

i just ordered my kit a few days ago so hopefully it should be here this weekend. Mines not from ddm though. You had to trim the bulb housing that came with your kit?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Well, just found my problem after 3 hours of working on the bike, it's extremely hot and humid in Savannah! When I trimmed the edges of the bulb like sick97ss shows, I trimmed about 1mm too much. That 1mm is just enough gap between the clamp that holds the bulb in place and the bulb to leave wiggle room and I did it on both headlights. I'm sooo mad at myself for doing this because I either have to live with it and let it bother me everytime I see my lights woble when I hit bumbs or spend another $54 to order another kit from DDM. Let my mistake be your lesson learned, hopefully for those of you who are about to order kits, you won't make this stupid mistake that I have made. Good Luck!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:39 PM

Here's sick97ss's step by step intall instructions that I used, just remember, when he says "slightly trim the squared edges" he means it. Good Luck!

https://home.comcast.net/~nstama/hidinstall.html

Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 PM

Yes, I followed sick97ss's step by step along with How To: Install HID headlights (F4i) - Band Of Riders <- that DIY and it worked fine for me.

Not flickering, rattling and anything of the short.

I have the 35w DDM kit, btw

Quick Reply: Problem installing my new HID kit from DDM on a '06 F4I, Help Please!