CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   previous owner may have glued lever screw... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/previous-owner-may-have-glued-lever-screw-152368/)

theadamie 07-11-2014 09:08 PM

previous owner may have glued lever screw...

Well I bought a set of aftermarket levers and they look great. It took me all of 1 minute to swap my brake lever but when I went to swap the clutch lever I noticed the 10mm nut on the bottom side was missing. When I squeeze the clutch lever the screw turns together with the lever which is what makes me think it's glued to the actual lever. The brake side doesn't seem to turn when I squeeze the brake. I've tried different screw drivers and I'm just deforming the screw... Any ideas on how to get it out? :icon_warped: :icon_smash:

Ragged1 07-11-2014 09:46 PM

I had the same problem with mine. It was a nightmare. I ended up tapping the bottom of the bolt with a hammer then grabbed the head with pliers and worked the lever back and forth. It took me about half an hour, with the lever off the bike, working it until it finally came out. Apparently the nuts coming off happens quite frequently, so make sure to use lock tite when you replace it. Because the nut wasn't holding it evenly, the bolt may have a groove worn in it, as mine did, binding it up. I ended up buying a replacement bolt and nut for $7.50 through my Honda dealership. Good luck, be patient, you will get it.

theadamie 07-11-2014 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ragged1 (Post 1277084)
I had the same problem with mine. It was a nightmare. I ended up tapping the bottom of the bolt with a hammer then grabbed the head with pliers and worked the lever back and forth. It took me about half an hour, with the lever off the bike, working it until it finally came out. Apparently the nuts coming off happens quite frequently, so make sure to use lock tite when you replace it. Because the nut wasn't holding it evenly, the bolt may have a groove worn in it, as mine did, binding it up. I ended up buying a replacement bolt and nut for $7.50 through my Honda dealership. Good luck, be patient, you will get it.

How did you grab the head if it's down in there? and How did you take the whole lever part off, doesn't it have some electrical wires or something running to it? Where are those unplugged? Thanks!

Ragged1 07-11-2014 10:48 PM

Those two little connecters pull right off the lever. Just grab at the rubber boots. They are spade connections. I then loosened the clutch adjustment bolt and disconnected the cable. Undo the two bolts and the lever pops right off. I flipped it upside down on a block off wood with a hole drilled in it for the bolt head, and lightly tapped the thread end with a hammer. I already had a new bolt so I wasn't worried about the threads. If you are reusing the bolt, I'd recommend threading a nut on there to save the threads. Home Depot had the nuts. They are metric #6 I think. Just grab the head once you have enough showing and work the lever while turning the pliers in opposite direction. Wish I had a better solution, but that's what I had to do.

theadamie 07-11-2014 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ragged1 (Post 1277092)
Those two little connecters pull right off the lever. Just grab at the rubber boots. They are spade connections. I then loosened the clutch adjustment bolt and disconnected the cable. Undo the two bolts and the lever pops right off. I flipped it upside down on a block off wood with a hole drilled in it for the bolt head, and lightly tapped the thread end with a hammer. I already had a new bolt so I wasn't worried about the threads. If you are reusing the bolt, I'd recommend threading a nut on there to save the threads. Home Depot had the nuts. They are metric #6 I think. Just grab the head once you have enough showing and work the lever while turning the pliers in opposite direction. Wish I had a better solution, but that's what I had to do.

Thanks a lot, this sounds good. I may wait a few days to do the clutch side :icon_fryingpan: I'm supposed to go riding tomorrow and I don't have a replacement bolt/screw... I'll post on here soon and let you know what happened.