F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Potential CBR F4i Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 02:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential CBR F4i Owner

Im probably gonna buy a CBR F4i, ive just gotta get a riders class under my belt, and enough money to pay off about half the bike, which shouldnt be too hard/long concidering i make a decent ammount of money. I plan on being on a bike by the end of april or may '07. Is a F4i a good bike for a first timer? About how much (very roughly) is the insurance gonna be, keep in mind im 18, but i'm acident and ticket free, woohoo! I dont really want the bike for the speed factor, well, yet that is. They're just really nice looking bikes and they get really good gas mileage (compared to a car anyways). I would probably step down to a 300-450ccish bike if they looked as sharp as the F4i's, any advice?

Old 12-23-2006, 05:06 AM
Default RE: Potential CBR F4i Owner

Getting your license and finally getting a bike is the best feeling ever. Even better than sex. LoL.

Since you're completely new as a rider, from my experience, I say get a used f4i if possible. Most new riders I know dropped their bike about 3 timesin the first month. Not from going fast, but the really slow tight turns, like U-turns. Doing a U-turn on a sports bike is a lot harder than doing it on the bikes at the motorcycle safety course. Lotsa new riders drop it at those times.

If you're still gonna get a new bike, request them to put on frame sliders right away.

Also, insurance for me at progressive is $440/year for the bare minimum (liability). I have about 5 minor violations in the past when I drove around in a car. Really minor ones like DVD monitor visible to driver while in motion (think 3/5 of the tickets were that; the rest were disregarding stop light).

I also have my family's cars under progressive so they gave me a multi-vehicle discount with the 10% MSF course discount.

HAVE FUN RIDING! Ride safe.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If getting a new F4i just consider that honda's stopped making them... they'll still support it for the next 10 years though.
F4i is a great bike, a nice first bike.
At the same time it's best to be on the paranoid side for the first 5-6 months! It's got plenty power (Always remember that it out-accelerates the fastest Lamborghini).
If you're getting a used one check the age/miles on the tires! That one sure bit me later.
Also get familiar with it's common issues (any bike has it's share) - CCT, engine buzziness, lowsides causing snapped gear shift levers and cracked alternator covers etc. And some common beginner worries such as side-stand switch, 3 overflow rubber tubes etc.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:39 PM

I can't wait, now ive just gotta get a loan and find one for under $5000, or so. My parents aren't too happy about the idea, haha, so unless I can figure out how to get this loan on my own I probably won't be getting one until I buy the bike, but i am rolling in $1200 or so a month, minus the bonuses we get. And all i have to pay is $250 a month for my car, so i should be able to get it mid-late spring or early summer. I'm soo excited, ive waited forever to get one, and now that I'm actualy making money ill be able to buy it =)!

Old 12-23-2006, 11:55 PM

www.craigslist.org should be able to find a nice used f4i on there in your local area.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:08 AM

Hye bro, I just started ridin in Nov. I picked up an 01 f4i. I love, no riding experience at all before buying. Bought then brought it out to a parking lot and started riding. Now I go out for hours ata time and ride around and love everything minute (even in the 40 degree weather)! I am 19 (in like 3 weeks) and have a 5 mph speedin ticket from my car, basically no credit, and I am paying $1,900 a year (50/100/25 if I hit someone, then minium uninsured, $250 deducible for comprehensive; so not quite full coverage but it is good coverage).

Also when you buy the bike look around, I got a decent deal on an 01 with less than 7,000 miles for only $3,100.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:42 AM

craigs list doesnt work... if i can get an 01CBR for $3000 I could buy it like next month... Idk yet tho, i like the 600RR look now that im shopping aroudn too =D, but those are quite expensive...

Old 12-24-2006, 03:32 AM

About how much would a CBR 600RR cost me? I'm looking for deals now but ebay has prices all over the place.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:42 AM

ORIGINAL: ddaren

Since you're completely new as a rider, from my experience, I say get a used f4i if possible. Most new riders I know dropped their bike about 3 timesin the first month. Not from going fast, but the really slow tight turns, like U-turns. Doing a U-turn on a sports bike is a lot harder than doing it on the bikes at the motorcycle safety course. Lotsa new riders drop it at those times.

If you're still gonna get a new bike, request them to put on frame sliders right away.
+1 on that...i got a new 06 f4i, dropped a few times not too bad, then after about 2000mi, dropped it pretty hard...now the right side is all scratched up...whether or not u go new or used...get frame sliders or rail sliders...dont make the same mistake i did..."naw, i wont drop it that badly, i dont need em"

ORIGINAL: ampfp

Also get familiar with it's common issues (any bike has it's share) - CCT, engine buzziness, lowsides causing snapped gear shift levers and cracked alternator covers etc. And some common beginner worries such as side-stand switch, 3 overflow rubber tubes etc
again, +1, the side stand switch and 3 overflow rubber tubes gave me quite a scare the 1st time i encountered each of them...make sure to actually read the owners manual