F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Possible Tach Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM
October 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Tach Problem

I'm riding to work today and I look down to see my tach resetting itself. I was cruising at about 5K, it went to 0 to 17K back to 0 then back to 5K. While this happened everything else was fine. My MPH didn't change, the temp didn't change. No other lights came on or off and the bike continued to run fine. Do you think is was due to a loose wire some where or do I have a tach going bad? This is the first time I have encountered this problem (And praying the last)

Old 08-23-2010, 10:35 AM

Sounds like a loose wire. You're basically describing that your tach did the "start up" check that happens when you first turn your ignition on? (Except obviously of course it shouldn't have happened while riding). I'd check your connector to the gauges to make sure all the pins appear to be solid, and that the wires leading to it are still securely in their crimps in the connector.

You may also want to trace the route the wiring takes to ensure that there are no frayed or wires with missing insulation.

Hopefully there are others on here who have a better understanding of the bike's self check at startup, so it can be a bit more diagnosed.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Rdub is there any part of ur bike thats yet to have a problem????

lol

Old 08-23-2010, 11:16 AM
October 2011 ROTM

sluijs01 - Yes the tach did the start up check while I was riding. I thought it was odd that just the tach did it and not the entire cluster but maybe that is a good thing, means I don't have a bigger problem. I am hoping it is just a loose wire and it wouldn't surprise me as it seems like every wire on this bike is messed up. I will keep my eye on it to see if it does it again and if so I will start searching for that loose wire.

Z - I think the only problem free thing on this bike thus far is the gas cap which is why I need to get rid of it.

Any other ideas?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 AM

i agree with a wire being bad.... weird thing is though is idk if ide say its the tach wire or the ground wire... because if it was the ground then u would prolly have had the cluster shot off all together so ide start with the tach wire

i was having wiring issues myself with the bike so i literally rewired it all except for the main harness... all the headlight and tail light and gauges harnesses have been redone..

Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I think you're right in the fact it is probably that tach wire. I think the whole cluster uses a single ground wire if I'm not mistaken so the entire cluster would reset. I just hope I don't have a tach going bad cause I really do not want to replace that.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:53 PM

the entire front of the bike lights and all uses one ground lol so if that's what it is alot more than just the tach would freak out.. But I also hiiiiiiiiiiighly doubt ur tach is goin bad

Old 08-25-2010, 10:03 PM
October 2011 ROTM

So hoping it was a 1 time thing was wishful thinking. I was riding home tonight, slightly on the gas when all of the sudden something bright caught my eye and I look down and my entire cluster was resetting but the bike did not miss a beat. Now I am thinking the entire cluster reset the first time I just didn't see it. I did not hit a bump or anything just cruising both times. Every time I did hit a bump I would look down and nothing. So are we still thinking loose wire or could something else be going on here? ECU maybe?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole gauge uses one ground. However, the tach is controlled by an individual wire. It could be lose in the gauge, I'd check that. I know when I was having fuel issues, the FI light would come on, and even once the tach reset. I'm not saying your issue and mine are related. But I honestly think it's either the ECU, or the bike is trying to tell you something?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:02 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I think the bike is trying to tell me that I need to get rid of it. Okay so this morning I fire it up and turn on my high beams. Well the indicator never lights up. I flick the switch to off then back on and then the indicator works. Do you think my two problems could be related? Should I put it up for sale today?

Quick Reply: Possible Tach Problem