CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   possible shifter problem (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/possible-shifter-problem-96894/)

chetman7 07-09-2009 06:30 PM

possible shifter problem

Sometimes when i'm slowing down and I'm downshifting thru the gears to get back to first..sometimes wen I press down the shifter it will vibrate pretty violently and very fast for a second..then it stops and i just shift down again and it finally goes into that gear...it usually when going from 2nd to 1st.

Anyone experience this?? The only way I can describe the sound is like someone is firing a gatling gun. Maybe I"m hitting i false neutral??

ibiggers 07-09-2009 07:30 PM

Unless you are going slow enough your bike doesn't want to be in first...Same with most cars...I usually don't use first until I am at the speed I am trying to slow down to...Blipping would allow you to go in when the RPM's are higher too.

chetman7 07-09-2009 08:18 PM

sorry I didn't explain it well enough....sometimes on these back roads..I'll rev it up to a nice speed...and coast in neutral. when I see a stop sign comming up I"ll shift all the way down to first while the clutch is still pulled in..that is when it makes the gatling noise

axsys 07-09-2009 11:40 PM

bikes dont like to coast in neutral. i would suggest putting it in 6th instead and cruising that way.

Aken 07-10-2009 12:59 AM

Short answer: don't do it, it's bad. Hold the clutch in if you want to coast, then downshift normally when it comes to that point.

Incognito 07-10-2009 02:14 AM

sometimes wen I press down the shifter it will vibrate pretty violently and very fast for a second
Those are the gears rubbing against each other ~ not good. It's OK to drop it all the way down to second gear while at speed, but you'll need to slow down even more to drop it in first. Usually I'll do it right before coming to a stop or taking a turn. Otherwise, as stated above, it won't want to engage and you'll be grinding.

Aken 07-10-2009 04:07 AM

You can get your gears pretty low even at high speeds as long as you do it right. I was out with a small group of friends tonight and me and a buddy were being retarded, and riding around in first gear at like 40mph.

Rev-matching is down shifting's best friend.

chetman7 07-10-2009 10:06 AM

ugh...I'm having the hardest time explaining this...i'm not too sure if you guys understand what is going on cause the answers don't match up...Wen i say I coast in neutral....I mean I"m coasting in gear with the clutch pulled in...which is pretty much neutral.

and for the person who said the gears are rubbing...the shaking happens when I have the clutchh lever pulled in..so how can the gears rub??

Jaybird180 07-10-2009 03:05 PM

Don't coast. It's a bad riding habit. Motorcycles are most stable when the power is being transferred to the rear wheel.

chetman7 07-10-2009 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird180 (Post 808058)
Don't coast. It's a bad riding habit. Motorcycles are most stable when the power is being transferred to the rear wheel.

yea be eventually I will have to pull the clutch in and brake and downshift.

I'm not coasting for miles...if u see a red light 500 feet in front of you...ur not going to hold the gas all the way to the light and slam on the breaks so u don't "coast"

sory if I sound like an ass but I dunno..I'm get frustrated wen people don't read my initial post right and comment on something else this is irrelevant