F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Possible Metallurgical Heat Treated Brakes???

Old 05-18-2010, 02:57 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Default Possible Metallurgical Heat Treated Brakes???

After finally completing my metallurgy class it brought up some questions...

Is it possible that our brakes could go through a metallurgical changes that could occur when your brakes get heat treated through rapid braking then a puddle or rain? Or say braking than a car wash?

Perhaps causing brittleness?

Or perhaps making the material harder and more ductile than the rotor itself causing them to friction weld together?

Or maybe even wear your rotor rather than your pads??????

Hmmm question questions

Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM

oR i cOuLd jUsT bE cRaZy

Old 05-18-2010, 05:55 PM

It seems more and more people are having brake issues with the F4i I see. My rotors have 21xxx and are warped on one side

Old 05-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Think his question is more of a theoretical "waaaay too much physics class" question

As far as the braking issues go, brakes seem to be one of those things people think about when something happens

Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 PM

After racing around the neighborhood i had my dads front brake rotors glowing back in highschool. brand new 1998 chrysler sebring convertible. This was in the middle of winter mind you with black ice everywhere...

So i thought the best thing to do was to throw some snow on there to cool'em down. My buddies got a kick out of the steam show, but on the way home lets just say i had some strange brake pedal feel hahah.

Wish i had a picture....but i sh*t you not they were cracked strait through. You could get your fingernail easily in the crack.

Pops wound up taking the car to the dealer where they replaced them for free because they couldn't explain how you could crack a pair of rotors in half, they called them "defective" hahahah

Old 05-18-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Krux View Post
It seems more and more people are having brake issues with the F4i I see. My rotors have 21xxx and are warped on one side
You get ur new ones yet man?

Originally Posted by Kuroshio View Post
Think his question is more of a theoretical "waaaay too much physics class" question

As far as the braking issues go, brakes seem to be one of those things people think about when something happens
lol psh physics... wrong class man haha... metallurgy

but yes its theoretical... but quite possible i beleive

Originally Posted by Sick97SS View Post
After racing around the neighborhood i had my dads front brake rotors glowing back in highschool. brand new 1998 chrysler sebring convertible. This was in the middle of winter mind you with black ice everywhere...

So i thought the best thing to do was to throw some snow on there to cool'em down. My buddies got a kick out of the steam show, but on the way home lets just say i had some strange brake pedal feel hahah.

Wish i had a picture....but i sh*t you not they were cracked strait through. You could get your fingernail easily in the crack.

Pops wound up taking the car to the dealer where they replaced them for free because they couldn't explain how you could crack a pair of rotors in half, they called them "defective" hahahah
lol good story dude ha bet u never did that again haha

Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Metallurgy... allegory... Meh, it's all college long past to me

The rotors are a weaker link than the pads I think. Unless you go with some super cheap pads.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:01 PM

[quote=zmds18;922666]You get ur new ones yet man?

Ya I got them from a member on here. They are used but when I checked them out today they seem straight. Only thing I am worrying about is the bolts stripping. I hate these hex heads.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 PM

[quote=Krux;922683]
Originally Posted by zmds18 View Post
You get ur new ones yet man?

Ya I got them from a member on here. They are used but when I checked them out today they seem straight. Only thing I am worrying about is the bolts stripping. I hate these hex heads.
ya they are actually my rotors so i hope they work out for you.. they are straight i can assure you i pulled them off when i started my project...

Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Pretty sure rotors go through a process like that during manufacturing. They're meant to take the extreme temperatures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible Metallurgical Heat Treated Brakes???

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.