F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

possible LOST KEY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid 12 bucks at the stealership. I took my ignition off and took it with me. There is a number on the back side of it that tells them how to cut the key. The only downfall was I had to stand around for 30 min.s waitin on the dumbass behind the counter to look up the oil specs for some idiots four wheeler (atv). I told him just go to walmart and get some rotella t.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats involved with taking the ignition out----my bike is stored away right now so i can't eyeball it...

Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 PM

You shold just be able to go to the honda dealer and just give him your vin. All they do is type it in and pull up the info on which cuts to make, hopefully your info is still in the system. I dont know about bikes at honda so take this with a grain of salt, im only assuming because this is what they do to me when i get cars from the auction with no keys. Or just go to the lock smith with your key cly and it should run around 30 bucks, I would take the rear key cly out if you can, other wise you can take your gas cap off but i do not know if that would work or not, it woud be the easiest because it is just a few allen screws.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakeshorebandit
You shold just be able to go to the honda dealer and just give him your vin. All they do is type it in and pull up the info on which cuts to make, hopefully your info is still in the system. I dont know about bikes at honda so take this with a grain of salt, im only assuming because this is what they do to me when i get cars from the auction with no keys. Or just go to the lock smith with your key cly and it should run around 30 bucks, I would take the rear key cly out if you can, other wise you can take your gas cap off but i do not know if that would work or not, it woud be the easiest because it is just a few allen screws.
Hmm... good idea on the gas cap. So long as they both use the same key that'll prolly work. Mine has had the gas cap replaced so it wouldn't work for me.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:51 PM

i know at the dealership i worked at, they wouldn't just make a key blindly for you. you'd have to take your registration, verify that the # on the back of your ignition matched what was original to the bike in question and then cut you a new key
if something didn't match they'd refuse to do it

bike shops that do it that way wouldn't cut you a key based on presenting a vin #, bc they can check with honda on who bought the bike new, but they can't check any kind of dmv info on any subsequent owners

not sure about now, but around a year ago keys were $12 for the long sport bike keys and either 7 or 8 for short cruiser keys

Old 01-17-2010, 11:12 PM

When I lost mine I removed the ignition and took it to the locksmith.He typed in the number on back of ignition and had 2 keys made in about 15 min.cost me $20.00

Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 AM

The deal here is i already tried the dealership, no luck.

A well known locksmith company will do it for 30 bucks but i merely just have to remove the ignition?

Has anyone here ever personally removed one from an 01 f4i?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:41 AM

remove the upper tripple tree,disconnect ignition harness under the tank and remove it all together,take it to locksmith.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by letsride
remove the upper tripple tree,disconnect ignition harness under the tank and remove it all together,take it to locksmith.
No S take it to a locksmith!

Who here has actually take the ignition out and what kind of problems did you face?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by VTcbr
No S take it to a locksmith!

Who here has actually take the ignition out and what kind of problems did you face?
I have already explained it to you.If you still dont get it,then read the service manual.

Quick Reply: possible LOST KEY!!!