F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Poor man's 2001 600 F4i project

Old 03-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor man's 2001 600 F4i project

Whats up all,

Just picked up an 01 f4i on Friday thinking it would need x amount of work but as it turns out in needs y...this thing has been neglected pretty bad so who knows when I'll find the end of the tunnel. Fortunately its a Honda and with a little tlc I'll have a fire breathing steed in no time. Im also mechanically inclined with a decent dirt history so I'll be doing all the work myself.

Needs normal wear items: chain, sprockets, brakes, rotors, suspension seals and service, engine service, valve adjustment, tires, signals, fluid flush, levers, grips, ends. Every piece of plastic on this unit is cracked so a little loctite plastic epoxy and sheet metal and I'm on my way.

The swingarm and subframe have a small amount of corrosion due to what I believe was a leaky battery prior to the one installed...removed subframe, stripped and rattle can paint should do the trick...

Went ahead and checked the valves...out of spec. Looking for shims now.

Tons of parts ($1000 or so) on the way . Hoping to have her road worthy in the next 4-6 weeks.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:27 PM

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle...

'01 CBR600F4i shims = 7.48 mm od = the shim set I already have in basement storage!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum FR. Sounds like you have some good times ahead. Just keep on the ultimate goal and you should be good. If I may ask though, how many miles on the engine? Also, how out of spec were your valves? Appreciate it. Cheers.

-Poss

Old 03-30-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I
Welcome to the forum FR. Sounds like you have some good times ahead. Just keep on the ultimate goal and you should be good. If I may ask though, how many miles on the engine? Also, how out of spec were your valves? Appreciate it. Cheers.

-Poss
20500 mileage...which after a bit of research concerns me a tad...

If the intake clearance is supposed to be .20 mm +/- .03 mm, and I cant get a .15 in there (my gauges are in increments of .05 mm) that means my intakes are potentially .03 mm out of spec at LEAST, which contradicts everyone elses "ive got 60k on mine and only one valve was out". Im also using flat gauges which are pretty tricky to get a good measurement considering the drag on the cylinder head itself.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:56 PM

Before I go all tazmanian devil on this fine piece of Japanese precision, im gonna make some bike specific feelers and re check...

On a side note, subframe has dried and been reinstalled. Will be slapping the rear cowl and fender on tomorrow pm and securing the wiring. Then we wait for UPS.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Front Royalty

If the intake clearance is supposed to be .20 mm +/- .03 mm, and I cant get a .15 in there (my gauges are in increments of .05 mm) that means my intakes are potentially .03 mm out of spec at LEAST, which contradicts everyone elses "ive got 60k on mine and only one valve was out". Im also using flat gauges which are pretty tricky to get a good measurement considering the drag on the cylinder head itself.
Can you get some more precise feeler gauges in there? Maybe start there if you can. Also depends on how the engine was treated I would imagine. Let me know what you come up with if you decide to investigate it a bit more. Thanks.

-Poss

Old 03-31-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Front Royalty

Meh, I did my valves at 26k and had to adjust about half of them. That was likely the second adjustment on the bike too. The people who went 60k without needing a valve adjustment must not have revved their motor past 5k rpm

Old 03-31-2014, 12:26 PM

get yourself a set of more precise feeler gauges to start with, use ACF 50 on the corrosion parts

the other stuff are pretty easy and i would say 1 solid day of work and it will be all gravy

some pictures?

Old 03-31-2014, 01:58 PM

any pics to go with all this. or are you saving that for last

Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by icedmind
get yourself a set of more precise feeler gauges to start with, use ACF 50 on the corrosion parts

the other stuff are pretty easy and i would say 1 solid day of work and it will be all gravy

some pictures?
New member...cant attach pics...

Upon a little "persuasion" ALL of my exhaust valves are within spec...
All the intakes but 1 are out...

Adjusting them now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poor man's 2001 600 F4i project