F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Please Help ME!!!! F4i High beam on only!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help ME!!!! F4i High beam on only!!

Ok so I just recently got a f4i and noticed both headlights running when it's on no matter how I flip the switch. So took the headlamp out and the idiot before me had a wire jumping off the high beam going to the low beam! So I got rid of that and taped everything up the correct way and still only the high beam stays on!! I'm stumped please help its my first bike!!! I've checked the switch and everything. I need some advice from experienced riders such as yourselves! Thank you....

Old 11-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Its still not wired correctly. Did he have it wired for both on/off? Follow the circuit from the fuse thu the relay, switch, to the lights.

If im not mistaken, one light is on all the time while the other is highbeam only.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:09 PM

I've checked the owners manuals wiring diagram and everything is going where it is suppose to. if I take the Hi Beam plug and plug it in the Lo beam headlight I get power to the Lo...But only the Lo Beam plug should be lighting up constant correct?? it is like opposite. I am wondering if it is in fact the switch and I just missed it ??? Any ideas thank you for your help and patience

Old 11-24-2011, 08:55 PM

Low should have constant power for always on. The switch is only for the high. I dont have the manual in front of me, but the low my not run through the switch. It could be that the switch is just an on/off for the high. I can check later when i get to the diagram.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:11 PM

I appreciate the quick response, yeah maybe you could see something I'm missing. Also I just went and checked for the last time this evening and I noticed that when I flip the switch for my lights, I don't see the blue bright indicator light that should pop up on the cluster?? That is what's leading me to believe it's the switch. ?? What do you think??

Old 11-24-2011, 10:57 PM

The blue indicator comes on with only high beam. I got a feeling something else is not wired correctly when the po did his mod.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:55 PM

I just don't understand why the Hi Beam plug would have constant power and I have nothing from the Lo Beam plug. But when I used a volt meter on them they both read lol all my fuses are good. If I plug the Hi beam plug(the only plug lighting anything) in the Hi beam lens and flipped my light switch up ( on Hi Beam) shouldn't the blue indicator come on??

Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Are you sure you don't have the high and low bulbs confused? When looking at the front of your bike, the low beam is on the right.

The low beam is always on - it is not switched. If your key is on, the low beam is on.

The switch turns the high beam on and off. You'll see the blue light on your gauges light up when the switch is on.

The two plugs for the headlights don't have anything special in them. Changing them around will not affect anything else, except swap the order that the bulbs turn on.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:25 PM

the low beam connector is the one with a blue with a white striped wire. the high beam has the solid blue wire. if the high has constant power, then its been crossed with power somewhere. maybe the headlamp relay has been bypassed/altered. the low beam power should come from the ignition directly, with the same power wire feeding the switch for the high and the indicator (white wire junction at the switch plug, but changes back to blue at the connectors for the cluster and the headlamp harness).

if after looking at all this nothing still shows up, we should make a time for a phone call when you can test the bike in real time and we can walk through some testing.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 PM

Ok so I thought everything was fixed!! I had grin of relief on my face but I smiled to soon lol... all wires were connected correctly but now as soon as I flip the light switch up or down the fuse blows I've went through 4 already lol any Ideas fellas??? by the way I appreciate the replies I am new to the forum and its pretty cool to see other riders being so helpful.

Quick Reply: Please Help ME!!!! F4i High beam on only!!