F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the suggestions guys i finally got it off my mind and got some sleep.
i guess sitting overnight with liquid wrench on it helped, i was using a 14mm husky 6 point but it was actually a bit loose.
so i grabbed a channel lock 14mm 6 point socket and it fit much tighter, put the limb cutter i busted the ends off to turn into a breaker bar and turned it the same way and it finally broke free.
the sprocket only has 4000 miles on it. i had the dealership put the chain on and asked them to tighten it since at the time i didnt realize i could put it in gear.
you know how car places will tighten the crap out of your lugs and possibly damage things? is that them over tightening or does it happen over time?
to sum things up, 4000 miles, over 240 ft pounds of torque, no loctite, unless it gets tight on its own i cant see how they arent responsible.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure there is a way to prove that it was the dealer's fault at this point. Anything could have happened in the 4000 miles. It's possible they over tightened it, but who knows.

You're going to replace that bolt now I assume?

Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

That's the lesson to be learned about cheap tools, especially sockets. They will get you into more trouble than its worth. They are made with garbage metal that stretches and they are machined to loose tolerances. Buying good stuff will make the job go smoother, which is worth it's weight in gold if you ask me. Not to mention that they last longer, if not forever. I have over 100k in tools that are the best money can buy, with lifetime warranties. My son will be using them when I die and his sons will be too. Let's just hope that the youth of the future will be willing to get their hands dirty instead of just wasting air.