F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

pimpbike undertail

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bike itself has a sleek and modernized look to it-i have an 01-the undertail itself is dull IMO------check out a mototeck innovations undertail....looks great-modernized-and fully functional, its bright and the only undertail with a plate light.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 PM

To each their own, when i was researching undertails i was purposely looking for something that used the stock tail light. Everyone's tastes differ so i totally understand, but when i looked to replace the stock set up i wanted to approach it as if back in 2002 what would Honda done to tidy up the bike if they didn't have to appeal to all the laws/standards.

But i did want to maintain a certain degree of visibility for safety sake. So i removed the front/rear reflectors and added reflective rim tape. I wanted an undertail so i bought a hugger to help protect that, i also like the look of a carbon fiber hugger anyway.

Pimpbike seemed like the best minimalistic undertail that "fit" with the rest of the bike in my tastes, nothing flashy just functional. As for install overall i'd say if you're good using a dremal/drill, painting with a spray can, have soldering tool and know basic wiring, you should be able to take on this project so long as you have the patience.

As for mounting, all i did was salvage some of the plastic from the fender and drilled some holes so that i had enough room to utilize the led blinkers. Pimpbike provides some L shaped brackets along with some screws & nuts, but overall its pretty worthless. The mistake i made, thinking that the less holes i had to drill the better, is that by only using 1 bracket to mount the plate is that it might wiggle a little back and forth if you bump it. So what i plan to do is get some better bolts from home depot or whatever and do two bracket mounts. You can see from the pics what i mean

To keep things as legal as possible i bought the LED license plate bracket off radiatnz to light the plate along with the blinkers. The whole set up turned out really bright so i have no issue there, the license bracket itself feels really well made and has some heft to it.

Also when i was buying the pieces to put all this together i had just seen tron so i kinda was going for that haha

Last edited by CrankyHippo; 03-12-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:17 AM

doesnt look out dated to me. hell i like that look! i didnt want the circle led tail lights. ive seen them around my area and they are hard to see from a distance. im trying to be seen. i like the look that i have going and have gotten compliments for it. and thats what really matters, if I like MY bike right?

Old 03-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by itsme71190
doesnt look out dated to me. hell i like that look! i didnt want the circle led tail lights. ive seen them around my area and they are hard to see from a distance. im trying to be seen. i like the look that i have going and have gotten compliments for it. and thats what really matters, if I like MY bike right?
I agree. I like the pimpbikes UT. It is clean. The hotbodies and other brand undertails that use the 2" circles are dim but there are solutions to that. Like a Retrofit of better boards in the lenses. Thats what i did and my tail, brake, and signals are crazy bright. As you said as long as you like it that is all that matters

Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 PM

mototeck innovations.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:15 AM

just looked up that tail. i personally dont like it. and 2. i refuse to pay that much for that.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 PM

Just an update....I just received my Pimpbike undertail and will have it installed on Monday! It uses the stock brake light...but I bought a new smoke integrated tail light. Also, the undertail comes with a license plate mounting kit. So, hopefully in a few days I'll have pics up!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM

CrankyHippo,

I like your setup, but you also could have found a tail light with built in license plate lights. This is where I bought mine.

http://www.t-motorsports.com/product...t-mt034-smoke/

Old 03-18-2011, 04:07 AM

Theres nothing special about this undertail and using the stock light deosnt give the bike an original appearance---- mototeck innovations you cannot go wrong

Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 AM

Looks good bro. I have a mototech but didn't pay but a quarter of that for it. I love my mototech. Looks good lights are bright and if my tail fairing didn't have a 3 year old do the fiberglass work it would fit perfectly. If I ever get another undertail I'll look into one if these though.