F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

picking up the new bike this week!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picking up the new bike this week!

so after a while of looking, i finally decided that i am going to go with the f4i for my first bike. i ended up getting a black/yellow 2004 f4i from a dealer in wisc.

i already took a look at it in person, and everything seems to be really clean on it (all stock, never dropped, no scratchs).

so this week i am going to be picking it up from the dealer and taking it home.

but anyways, i was just wondering if you guys know of anything i should specifically look at to make sure that everything is in top notch order before i take the bike home from the dealer?

also, the dealer was telling me that the batterys in the f4i's are kinda weird and that they will completly die is not used for about two weeks, and there is no recharging them? He recomended a battery tender.

p.s. here is a link to the bike if anyone is intersted

Thanks

-Ben

Old 02-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Default RE: picking up the new bike this week!

hmm.. i dont know about the battery thing..mine sat in storage for 6 months and i charged it for 10 mins and she fired right up.

as i just got done stating in another thread.

make sure the fork seals are good! (just look down the forks and make sure there is no sign of green gunk around the brakes or anything, it could end up making your brakes slip and you will go down.)

and the cam chain tensioner. make sure you dont here any ratteling(that sounds like a loose chain inside the bike) when it gets warmed up..take it for a little ride before signing the papers and listen for that.

the reason i am pointing this out is because i bought a bike with these problems and ended up in my garage with the bike for the first 3 nights fixing it all..and thats no fun! ( plus i think the CCT is a problem for the F4's, dont know why tho.)

Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 AM
Banned

The battery on my bike died in the first year with only 6500 miles on it, it never sat more than a day, but I did leave the lights on twice or 3x. But a battery tender is smart to have.

Bring a buddy to test ride it if you don't ride yet.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 AM

yah the only problem is that it is about -15 degrees outside with snow everywhere, so im not too sure if i can ride it up there. they are giving me a 200 mile or 30 day warrenty though.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:00 PM

did you talk him down any? or are you payin 5500 for it?

Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM

i tried talking him down, but they seem to be pretty strict on their prices. i got a little bit extra than the standard warrenty that they give out, but thats about it unfortionatly.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:31 PM

ORIGINAL: killians31

i tried talking him down, but they seem to be pretty strict on their prices. i got a little bit extra than the standard warrenty that they give out, but thats about it unfortionatly.
dude, pass on that deal. 5500 for a used, stock f4i is almost criminal. no one would pay that much.

5500 is what i'd pay for a 2006 gsxr600 or 750/r6/600rr/etc etc. especially in the dead of winter in wisconsin.

and since it's your first bike you don't need what i've described above as a $5500 bike. i know you're probably nervous about being ripped off, and getting a bum bike, but f4i's are as bulletproof as bikes get. they don't really break unless they've been REALLY (really really) abused, and run perfectly for well up to 100,000 miles. fixing them is simple, parts are cheap, there's no point in paying a dealer a premium for a "well taken care of" f4i.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:49 AM

hmm, well it is basically a new bike low mileage looks in mint shape, but mostly stock, if it had a pipe maybe, but end of the day its up to you? if your content w no pipe/flush mounts, etc, then go for it, i picked up my 02F4i last year, only had 10000KM's but all the godies, pipe lights etc, i paid 5K cnd. I couldn't test ride mine either, it was way too cold out/snowing. Now she's sleepingcome on Spring!!
good luck

Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 AM

I'm not sure why he would tell you that the F4i batteries are different than any other bike battery, the Battery Tenders are nice to have, or you could take the battery out of your bike and store it inside your house where it is warm. There is really no way to test the CCT, if it's going to go out it will just happen, but if you are somewhat mechanically inclined it's not that hard to change it if it does start making noise. Dealerships are always hard to haggle on the price and you always pay more for the taxes and warranties that they talk you into, but if you buy from a private seller you're taking the risk of not having a warranty at all. Dealerships don't like to let you test ride either, too many people would want to just come in and joy ride if they did. I think you might get a better deal somewhere else, try checking http://www.craigslist.comfor any bikes in your area!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM

yea, i looked for about a month on craigslist and ebay ( i wasnt going to purchase off of ebay, i was just lookin for ppl to contact about their bikes ) which is where i ended up finding mine. then i called him and talked to him. i drove to see the bike, and payed him when i got there, not through paypal or anything. i think you would find a better deal this way, but also extra money might be worth the reassurement you get from the warranty, and if you feel inside like the bike is well taken care of sometimes its worth overpaying just because you feel better about it.

Quick Reply: picking up the new bike this week!