F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Penkse Racing Shock Street Setting

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Penkse Racing Shock Street Setting

Anyone here have a penske racing shock? What is your average street settings for the low and high speed compression? The low speed has 30 clicks, but for sreet is it normal to go to around 6 clicks from the soft side?

Old 05-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Penkse Racing Shock Street Setting

The rear compression is a factor of several things. The low speed is to maintain geometry during power application and the high speed for bumps. If the spring rate is correct for your weight, set up the reboundafter setting preloadto balance the chassis front to rear. Meaning that the bike should bounce back at the same rate. When you go over pavement irregularities you should feel both front and rear move relatively in unison.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. This is the thing, the spring is for a 188 pound racer and I am only 150. So my task right now is to try to make this as friendly as possible for the street. I do feel every bump the bike crosses and I feel it moving more from the rear.

My low speed right now is at 7 clicks from full soft and high is at 9 from full soft. And rebound is at 15 from full soft. Sag is at 1".

Old 05-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spring rate is still off for your weight mang...wayyy off.
i think you need to gain about 40lbs.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:00 PM

Try adjusting the preload, just be careful not to top out the spring. (I don't know what happened to the last post I made in this thread, must've been a bunch of BS that I couldn't post to be embarrased for all of internet eternity).

Try to get the front and rear to 30mm sag, then adjust rear ride height for a 11-12 degree downslope. Adjust rebound to balance the chassis. Measure your front compression for the hardest braking you'll do (how do you do this on normal forks???) to get ~75% stroke, then rebalance the chassis. Rear is adjusted as above.

But yes, Tahoe is correct. Usually springs are in 20lb increments. You're too light for the spring. You may have to permanently install a Midget on the back.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

Try adjusting the preload, just be careful not to top out the spring. (I don't know what happened to the last post I made in this thread, must've been a bunch of BS that I couldn't post to be embarrased for all of internet eternity).

Try to get the front and rear to 30mm sag, then adjust rear ride height for a 11-12 degree downslope. Adjust rebound to balance the chassis. Measure your front compression for the hardest braking you'll do (how do you do this on normal forks???) to get ~75% stroke, then rebalance the chassis. Rear is adjusted as above.

But yes, Tahoe is correct. Usually springs are in 20lb increments. You're too light for the spring. You may have to permanently install a Midget on the back.
What do you mean you dont know what happened to the last post you made?

I know the spring is too stiff, this is why I am trying to adjust this the best I can to be street friendly. Right now i have the Low speed at 7 clicks from full soft, high 9 clicks from full soft and rebound 15 from full soft. At what point does the compression turn "off"? I know the low has 30 clicks, the high 18 clicks, and the rebound about 34 clicks

Old 05-29-2007, 08:08 PM

Sorry I can't answer specific questions about your shock...I have Ohlins so can't comment on how many clicks you should go. I just provided some guidance that will apply to any shock.

I wrote a post and hit send before Tahoe's post, but it's not here...I guess I the computers are acting up again. :-)