F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

To patch or not to patch????????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: To patch or not to patch????????????

I run a pro installed plug in the rear of my bimmer. I forgot it was there. And trust me, it get's stressed. Bike: it's a mind over matter thing. If you don't mind, it don't matter. But 3 patches, I think I'd mind but that's me.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with ampf city not riding hard ONE patch is considerable but three well all imma say...is laying your bike over on a blow out worth 180 bucks

Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 PM

Buy a new tire, patching it can be dangerous. My motorcycle safety class instructor said to never patch one, which I think is common sense, our tires are a good bit different from car tires.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:30 PM

it's a libility issues. But the REAL question is, will a properly plugged tire from a trained technician (not accounting for human error) cause tire failure? I'm not convinced that it will. True car tire is not same as MC tire, but rubber is rubber, and RWHP is RWHP. My car has more than my bike and exerts greater load and get's hotter (not sure about this, but I can and have run the car at sustained high speeds). I have also run the car in controlled environments at 150+ And this is WITH the plug.

But I'm not endorsing the plug. But that's only cause I don't want someone suing me.

My question is: Who's willing to do some honest research/ testing on this (controlled of course)?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 PM
WOT

i agree with ampf city not riding hard ONE patch is considerable but three well all imma say...is laying your bike over on a blow out worth 180 bucks
+1

Old 07-29-2008, 11:18 PM

I would change it. I got a nail in my back tire that had only \2200 miles on it and replaced it. Not worth taking the chance at all to me!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

it's a libility issues. But the REAL question is, will a properly plugged tire from a trained technician (not accounting for human error) cause tire failure? I'm not convinced that it will. True car tire is not same as MC tire, but rubber is rubber, and RWHP is RWHP. My car has more than my bike and exerts greater load and get's hotter (not sure about this, but I can and have run the car at sustained high speeds). I have also run the car in controlled environments at 150+ And this is WITH the plug.

But I'm not endorsing the plug. But that's only cause I don't want someone suing me.

My question is: Who's willing to do some honest research/ testing on this (controlled of course)?
1st question I have is.. You say controlled environments but w h e r e do you sustain 150+ for a w h i l e? I don't think that they run with multiple plugs in the tires in nascar.. I don't think I would push your luck. Blowouts are no fun.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:41 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Bleh i'v plugged my tires for years, it's fine, patches are even safer then plugs too..

hell because of bad luck and I can't afford some new tires right now I have a plug in my front AND rear of my 1000RR

if you read in your Honda Manuel it says it's fine to plug or patch your tire just dont take it over 50 for the first week and never over 75 after that.

RTFM

Old 07-30-2008, 09:19 AM

I say again: Who's willing to do some honest research and testing. You all are just speculating and going by little angels and devils on your shoulder with nothing but the manufacturers advice on patches and plugs. Keep in mind that THEY are not willing to accept liability because there are too many factors, and I don't blame them.

Car: I was worried about the plug failing and probably got on the tech's nerves about it, but he patiently answered all of my questions. And IN MY EXPERIENCE, he was right! The integrity has not been affected.

Now, I don't have a way to test the same on a bike and confidence would probably tell me to replace it (as I do a lot of things), but I also have an honest scientific curiosity on the subject and am tired of the defacto "change it" advice.

FLAME SUIT ON

Old 07-30-2008, 11:03 AM
WOT

I would change it. I got a nail in my back tire that had only \2200 miles on it and replaced it. Not worth taking the chance at all to me!
+1

Quick Reply: To patch or not to patch????????????