F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Passanger pegs with blinkers

Old 10-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not 100% sure, but i was looking at it last night and it seems that if your a little behid the bike, the can would block the right signal....but then again, i think mine may be angled in a little more

Old 10-29-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Aken
It's pretty easy, and very noticeable.

I used Yellow 3mm prewired LEDs from Oznium: http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds

Thats exactly the look I'm looking for. It looks like 3mm leds are plenty bright. I am definitley going to try to do this over the winter. With leds from Oznium, do I need anything other than a board to mount them too?

Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 AM

If they are not pre-wired, you will need LEDs, resistors, and wires. I wouldnt use a board, to hard to hide in the peg. In case youve never done it before, resistor value can be determined using R = (Vs- Vd)/Id
R = Resistor Value
Vs = Supply voltage (12V)
Vd = Diode Voltage (found on your led spec)
Id = Diode Current (found on your led spec)

LEDs are directional(wont work if wired backwards) and I typically wire them in parallel with a resistor for each led. I can go into more detail on the wiring and such if you want, im just not sure of your experience level with LEDs.

Last edited by madtaz10665; 10-29-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by madtaz10665
If they are not pre-wired, you will need LEDs, resistors, and wires. I wouldnt use a board, to hard to hide in the peg. In case youve never done it before, resistor value can be determined using R = (Vs- Vd)/Id
R = Resistor Value
Vs = Supply voltage (12V)
Vd = Diode Voltage (found on your led spec)
Id = Diode Current (found on your led spec)

LEDs are directional(wont work if wired backwards) and I typically wire them in parallel with a resistor for each led. I can go into more detail on the wiring and such if you want, im just not sure of your experience level with LEDs.
I'm 100% sure I can figure out how to wire them up, however I'd rather just buy prewired leds just to eliminate any mistakes I might make. It just seems easier that way. Also my experience level with LEDs is limited to observance only, I have never wired LEDs.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 AM

You shouldn't need a board to mount them on. Looks like if you're using 5 or 6, wiring them in series should replace the need for a resistor. I've considered starting to make these. I have a small powder coating shop so I think a black pair of these would look sweet. If any of you guys would like to be my experiment, I'll pc your pegs and install led's for materials and shipping cost only.

Last edited by MartiniRossy; 10-29-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by MartiniRossy
You shouldn't need a board to mount them on. Looks like if you're using 5 or 6, wiring them in series should replace the need for a resistor. I've considered starting to make these. I have a small powder coating shop so I think a black pair of these would look sweet. If any of you guys would like to be my experiment, I'll pc your pegs and install led's for materials and shipping cost only.
Ive always done them in parallel to ensure proper voltage and max brightness for whatever number of LEDs you want to use, plus you can easily tell which one is bad if it does go bad. I guess in series you just have to make sure you use just enough to make sure that the voltage drop across each one is high enough for them to work and low enough to keep them from cooking.

Where are you located? I may have some powder coat work for you.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 AM

If they are pre-wired with resistors (in the + lead??) is it as simple as wiring them in parallel and be done with it?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:34 AM

I'm in MN. 40 minutes south of Minneapoplis. Great, I'd love some more pc'ing work!

Here's the deal with wiring LED's

Series-
Positives-
-Don't have to use resistors. (if you calculate correctly)
-Smaller install

Negatives-
-One LED open ciruit will kill them all (open circuits don't happen all that often)
-Need to be a little more savy at wiring and insulating.
-Limited number of LED's

Parrallel-
Positives-
-Unlimited number of LED's (only limited by the total power of your system)
-Basic wiring
-One LED open circuit will not affect the rest (still a bummer to have one out though)

Negatives-
-Need resistors if using 12v power. (resistors for numerous LED's are large due to the fact they need to be higher wattage to accomadate)
-Bulkier install

It all depends on the application.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ragnar1x
If they are pre-wired with resistors (in the + lead??) is it as simple as wiring them in parallel and be done with it?
Yeah if they are prewired with resistors (assuming the resistors are sized for a 12v system) then yes you just hookem up and away you go! 2 ways to do parrallel

For multiple LED's

-smaller watt, higher ohm resistor on each LED
-single, higher watt, lower ohm resistor for all

Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 AM

I believe the write up mentioned was mine. I did this in an afternoon w/ no real planning aside from buying leds. I HIGHLY recommend using oznium.com product. They sell prewired, waterproof, with resistors all in their own silicone caseing already. Using their product I was also able to get brake lights in the pegs. 3 brake, 3 blink.

Drill 6 1/4 inch holes, 3/8 on center. Worked like magic, a little squeezing to fit the silicone in and they snapped right into place perfectly. Sealed the whole back of the peg with clear shower sealing silicone and they worked perfectly for 3 years.

However, with a passenger on the bike they can't be seen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passanger pegs with blinkers