F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

painting air duct covers --HELP

Old 01-23-2011, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting air duct covers --HELP

I've got my air duct covers on my work bench sanded down and ready for a primer....what i'm looking for in the end is a nice black glossy finish.

What would be the best primer and paint for the job in your honest opinion?

A primer in a can??

Krylon fusion paint?

help fellas---i've seen air duct covers done correctly with a nice gloss black to them and it makes the bike POP!!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Krylon fusion and a clear coat

Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was painting with some Rustoleum Engine Paint in gloss black and sprayed some on my covers without primer.

I'll post a pic when I get home.

Edit: Snaps

I've seen several on here with more of a mirror finish shine, but this was a quick wash down, a few coats of black, and a few coats of clear.

Last edited by vegas_rebel; 01-24-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:06 PM

I've been thinking of doing this too...but not sure if I'll try to paint the rest of the bike or not, which has been my main hangup

Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VTcbr
I've got my air duct covers on my work bench sanded down and ready for a primer....what i'm looking for in the end is a nice black glossy finish.

What would be the best primer and paint for the job in your honest opinion?

A primer in a can??

Krylon fusion paint?

help fellas---i've seen air duct covers done correctly with a nice gloss black to them and it makes the bike POP!!!!

Post pics if/when you do this.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 AM

Looks good but i want mine to really shine like the fairings and tank----any suggestions on how i can get these covers to have a nice glossy shine look to them?

thanks

Originally Posted by vegas_rebel
I was painting with some Rustoleum Engine Paint in gloss black and sprayed some on my covers without primer.

I'll post a pic when I get home.

Edit: Snaps

I've seen several on here with more of a mirror finish shine, but this was a quick wash down, a few coats of black, and a few coats of clear.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VTcbr
Looks good but i want mine to really shine like the fairings and tank----any suggestions on how i can get these covers to have a nice glossy shine look to them?

thanks
The biggest difference between mine and what you want is prep time. If you use a high fill primer, and have sanded them down smooth, then the process is essentially the same, you just want to sand the paint with really high grit sandpaper (1500, maybe finish with 2000.) Then clear for a few coats and do it again. If you want to get really nuts, buff it with a rubbing compound, then polish, then wax. Should be mirror finish at that point, even using the same paint. I did that with my tank (but lazily, because it was the third time I'd painted it in a couple weeks) and I can see myself from better than six feet away.

My side fairings are shinier because I originally wanted the whole bike like that, but came to like the rougher shine that came with not polishing the fairings.