CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   out of ideas NO SPARK (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/out-ideas-no-spark-157953/)

confusedF4i 07-21-2018 04:52 PM

out of ideas NO SPARK

I bought a cheap 2001 F4i off a buddy who rode her into a ditch, F***ed up the plastics but everything else is fine engine cranked but no spark. I thought it would be an easy fix to build myself a stunt bike. Here is what has been done to the bike.
clean air mod
9v battery to replace diode (it works but I plan on getting a new diode eventually)
bypassed the tipover sensor correctly
kickstand sensor bypassed
start/stop switch bypassed
new wire harness
new Ignition pulse generator (to fix code 19)
new fuel cut relay and engine stop relay both click when ignition is turned on.
I was still getting code 19 after fixing the IPG, called up a mechanic who told me I had to reset my ecu to get the newest batch of codes or view the remaining codes. I did that and I get no FI light, I turn my ignition on and I get my fuel pump to prime and no FI light but no spark when I try to start her. I have fuel pressure and fuel going into the engine I just have no spark... through all of this the FI light will not come on, if I try to jump my service connector I get a solid FI light no flashes.I have tested continuity through every wire and cleaned off every connection... I have even tried to reset my ECU again and nothing has changed. I have a feeling in my gut that this means my ECU is dead... before I shell out $$$ for a new ECU does anyone have any input on what i'm doing wrong?
I am getting 12v to my ignition coils and when I crank her over it drops to 8v...

74demon 07-21-2018 06:34 PM

Did you install the ipg correctly? They will fit backwards in the cover, but won't work that way.

confusedF4i 07-21-2018 07:16 PM

Just did a quick double check and it was installed correctly.

CaBaRet 07-22-2018 03:43 AM

Can only add Cam pulse sensor and good battery, hate to think its the ECU

confusedF4i 07-22-2018 06:46 AM

I already replaced the battery, and if i'm not wrong the cam pulse sensor is for the fuel and that's working fine...
I might add that I had codes 9 and 11 from before the crash and I did not fix those issues, could the crash have cooked the ECU and the codes I saw were just in the memory?

CaBaRet 07-22-2018 07:01 AM

Dont think that 9 and 11 would stop the bike running though, can you borrow an ECU to test , I'm assuming your in the USA

confusedF4i 07-22-2018 07:49 AM

i'm looking into that now, If my ECU is shot and I plug it into someones bike I wont fry anything in their bike will I? or should I borrow their good ECU and plug it into my bike?

CaBaRet 07-22-2018 08:06 AM

Yes I'd plug their's it into yours

74demon 07-22-2018 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet (Post 1316313)
Yes I'd plug their's it into yours

I would put yours on theirs.

1. If something fried yours, you don't want it to cook theirs as well.
2. The ECM being bad won't hurt anything else.
3. You know their bike works. You will know if your ECM is good or not very quickly.
4. A good ECM in your bike may not make it run. If this is the case, you still won't know what's wrong and if your ECM is good or not.

74demon 07-22-2018 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1316317)
I would put yours on theirs.

1. If something fried yours, you don't want it to cook theirs as well.
2. The ECM being bad won't hurt anything else.
3. You know their bike works. You will know if your ECM is good or not very quickly.
4. A good ECM in your bike may not make it run. If this is the case, you still won't know what's wrong and if your ECM is good or not.

Do you know if you have injector pulse?