F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Ouch Plastic is expensive...

Old 08-08-2006, 03:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ouch Plastic is expensive...

Well, took my bike into the dealer to have them assess the damages from a wreck for my insurance. ya can we say yea for insurance, $3600.00 parts and labor. Get new rubber out of the deal though. Thats always a bonus.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:02 AM
Default RE: Ouch Plastic is expensive...

what did you do?????maybe see if they will total it and you buy it back from them.a full set on ebay will be about 1200 when can find them. a new gas tank 300

Old 08-08-2006, 05:28 AM

man alot of ppl are wreckin here l8ly, i put mine down last monday and the honda shop assesed it for 5064 after labor, but when the insurance guy came he assesed it for 7000+ and i was only goin 40 i cant believe how much damage i got. but ya yay for full coverage and ejohn has a good idea there.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:18 AM

my god can i see some pics if you guys dont mind. i laid my down friday but i dont think its that much damage.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM plastics and decals are REALLY expensive... Check ebay as mentioned before, or go to airtech and check out their prices. I priced a full set for the F4 (similiar) and it was < 500$... sure it was unpainted - but you could get a good spray laid down for cheap (or do it yourself) and through on a few decals if you had to...

For insurance purposes if the plastic is scuffed at all they'll put it at full replacement value... it doesn't matter if the plastic is shattered into a million pieces or has one almost impossible to see rub.

Sucks...

Old 08-08-2006, 11:39 AM

Sorry no pics, I got no camera right now. I didn't think it was that bad, but there were mounting tabs in the upper nose fairing and headlight assy that broke, cha ching. That **** was the most expensive. OMG factory wants close to 650 for the nose fairing. Ins company isn't gonna total it. Not at 80% of NADA value. That I don't really want her totaled, kinda like this bike. Tank didn't even get touched at all. Just plastics, and front forks. But with only $500 out of pocket, can't beat the bargain. Will get it fixed and sell some of the stock pieces to fund an undertail, new exhaust system, upgrade my wind screen. Etc... Wow. Hosed it up better than I thought.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I totaled, took the check and fix it up. Still have clear title.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:11 PM

Here are pictures from my incident in May. An oncoming 1984 El Camino turned left in front of me. Damage was $4,700. Bike was totalled, assessed at $5,500 + licensing fees. Salvage fee was $1,200. Never mind the obvious captions, they were for insurance purposes.

The bike and I were hit on the left side and the bike slid on the right. Everything plastic was damaged. Tank was fine, all of the controls were damaged, passenger peg, right mirror, both signals, entire exaust ($1,000 for oem!!!) Everything structural was fine, mechanically fine (other than the easily replacable controls). Damages add up REAL quick. As soon as it was dropped off at the repair shop they knew it would be totalled.

See the flash animation!

Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude that's repairable.
https://cbrforum.com/m_93487/tm.htm

Old 08-08-2006, 12:32 PM

Damn, I would take than money and run.

That's maybe $1k worth of real damage with eBay parts and your own labor.

The headlight is the most expensive part depending on if you want a perfect lense or if you can accept a couple of nicks.

The side fairings I like to replace with fiberglass because if you do a good job prepping, no one can tell the difference. They also take a hit a hell of a lot better than OEM.

I like Targa front fairings for the same reason. The are plastic, but it's a lot more flexible than the OEM plastic. I use OEM tail cowls because they are cheap on eBay if you find one with minor rash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ouch Plastic is expensive...