F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Oil leaking at filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 08:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Oil leaking at filter?

Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time posting. I have an 02' F4i with about 22k on it. Changed the oil after about 100 miles this year with T6 5w40 and when I put an M110a filter from Mobil1 on it was leaking from the filter (drop every 5-10 seconds when running). Couldn't get the filter any tighter.. So I bought an M108a, wiped the gunk off around the metal where the filter seats, oiled the filter, and installed it. I took it around the block, no leak. Parked it and when I woke up there was a drip of oil underneath the filter and I could see it was leaking again. I'm really not a fan of super-tightening the filter on so I can actually get it off next year.

Do you have any ideas as to why it may be leaking? It is 100% coming from the bottom of the filter. My plan is to remove the filter, use a bit of brake clean and a paper towel around the filter housing to ensure a clean mating surface, re-oil the filter o-ring and re-install as tight as I can get it. In the past, I've used an M108 filter without any issues. Super frustrating considering I have already been riding a bit and then when I go to take care of her she starts leaking...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 05-09-2022, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Although I use the Purolator Pure 1 PL14610 filter, I'm sure the O ring is the same. It's a square profile. I only hand tighten it 3/4 of a turn past the point in which the O ring makes contact with the engine. So unless there is some significant contamination on the sealing surfaces, I don't see how it could be leaking. Potential could be a restriction in an oil passage someplace causing too high of oil pressure, but even that would be a stretch.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:42 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Over tightening can cause problems as well.
You say you've used the M108 - is the M110a the correct filter fot the bike?

Old 05-09-2022, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scott91370
Yep they both work for the bike.

Old 05-09-2022, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Scott91370
I'll try loosening it a bit. I usually tighten it by hand tightly then back it off 1/8th of a turn or so.

Old 05-09-2022, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 325 Likes on 267 Posts

Some other tips, Are you sure the O ring from the old filter didn't stick to the engine? Also, are you positive the new O ring didn't fall off prior to putting it on? Finally did you put a very light coat of oil on the surface of the new O ring?

Old 05-09-2022, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Some other tips, Are you sure the O ring from the old filter didn't stick to the engine? Also, are you positive the new O ring didn't fall off prior to putting it on? Finally did you put a very light coat of oil on the surface of the new O ring?
Positive the O ring from the old filter was removed considering I was able to wipe off a bit of black gunk from the mating surface when I installed the filter the second time. I've done many oil changes but that's a great suggestion. I definitely coated the new oil filter as well. I'm going to try adjusting the tension on the filter and assuming I have problems, remove, clean mating surface with brake clean, re-install. If issues still exist, thinking about k&n filter with the bolt on the end..

Old 05-09-2022, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JakeMN
Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time posting. I have an 02' F4i with about 22k on it. Changed the oil after about 100 miles this year with T6 5w40 and when I put an M110a filter from Mobil1 on it was leaking from the filter (drop every 5-10 seconds when running). Couldn't get the filter any tighter.. So I bought an M108a, wiped the gunk off around the metal where the filter seats, oiled the filter, and installed it. I took it around the block, no leak. Parked it and when I woke up there was a drip of oil underneath the filter and I could see it was leaking again. I'm really not a fan of super-tightening the filter on so I can actually get it off next year.

Do you have any ideas as to why it may be leaking? It is 100% coming from the bottom of the filter. My plan is to remove the filter, use a bit of brake clean and a paper towel around the filter housing to ensure a clean mating surface, re-oil the filter o-ring and re-install as tight as I can get it. In the past, I've used an M108 filter without any issues. Super frustrating considering I have already been riding a bit and then when I go to take care of her she starts leaking...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Good deal. We have several members on here with a very wide range of mechanical experience so we always start the the most basic thing when offering advice.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:32 AM

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded. I greatly appreciate it! All I ended up doing was turning the filter maybe about another cm by hand, took her out for a pretty hard 20 minute ride and not a drop the whole ride or this morning under the bike. I think the original issue in my case was not cleaning the filter housing/mating surface. As I mentioned there was some black gunk I wiped off the first time.

The following 2 users liked this post by JakeMN:
IDoDirt (05-10-2022), Scott91370 (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Glad it was an easy fix. That could have been a annoying thing to fix.

Quick Reply: Oil leaking at filter?