F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Oil leak from where water pump goes into crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak from where water pump goes into crankcase

I was riding the other day and I saw some smoke. when i looked, oil was burning on the exhaust, under the oil pan. I stripped the bike this weekend to look for any leaks. I found that there is some oil around the back of the water pump. I know that there is a oil hose coming from the filter to the water pump. Is there a seal that the water pump has? If so it is probably busted and letting oil through. Some picture are below. If any one can help me out it will be appreciated. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak from where water pump goes into crankcase-oilleak001.jpg   Oil leak from where water pump goes into crankcase-oilleak002.jpg   Oil leak from where water pump goes into crankcase-oilleak003.jpg   Oil leak from where water pump goes into crankcase-oilleak004.jpg   Oil leak from where water pump goes into crankcase-oilleak005.jpg  

Old 07-05-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by jam0837
I was riding the other day and I saw some smoke. when i looked, oil was burning on the exhaust, under the oil pan. I stripped the bike this weekend to look for any leaks. I found that there is some oil around the back of the water pump. I know that there is a oil hose coming from the filter to the water pump. Is there a seal that the water pump has? If so it is probably busted and letting oil through. Some picture are below. If any one can help me out it will be appreciated. Thanks
wipe it all dry, turn the bike on and observe what happens. that would be the first step.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by jam0837
I know that there is a oil hose coming from the filter to the water pump. Is there a seal that the water pump has?
Actually, that hose that is coming from the oil filter is for the oil cooler. I thought the same thing until I was browsing the service manual and saw the oil cooler and traced the hoses going to and from the cooler to the water pump. The only seal that could be leaking oil is the seal in your third, fourth, and fifth pictures. I wouldn't worry about the fact that the seal looks wet though as mine does the same thing, but no oil actually runs out of it. One place to look that is notorious for leaking oil is the cam chain tensioner. My bike would leak oil from the CCT, pool up, and then run down the left side of the bike when I put it on the kickstand. It drove me crazy to the point where I almost pulled my tank off to look at the head gasket because I couldn't find where the oil was coming from!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:53 PM

I tried to feel around the CCTL for oil and i didnt feel any. I know I have a coolant leak so maybe I am confusing the two. I will double check and fix the coolant leak and see if I still see what I think is oil.

thanks

Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 PM

I had the exact same problem recently. It turns out I had overfilled the oil. The crankcase has a hose that vents the extra oil into the airbox, and from there it drips down all over everything and makes a big mess. I'd definitely check that out first before looking elsewhere for leaks.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Murph
I had the exact same problem recently. It turns out I had overfilled the oil. The crankcase has a hose that vents the extra oil into the airbox, and from there it drips down all over everything and makes a big mess. I'd definitely check that out first before looking elsewhere for leaks.
Same thing jut happened to me on my 03 954rr. Huge mess.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:55 PM

Same thing happen to me as it did to Murph, PO put probably 6 quarts of oil in the damn bike and leaked onto my exhaust..