F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

oil filter removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter removal

My GODDD the oil filter is on TIGHT! I'm doing my 1st oil change and am having a hard time taking off the filter.
What's the best method to take this thing off? And do you really have to torque it to 20 ft lbs? That seems too tight.
Thanks for any ideas.
Lumberman

Old 07-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Default RE: oil filter removal

just use an angle-head pliers (sorta like a plumber's wrench but smaller)..big enough to fit over the filter (must have right-side fairing off)

u don't need to torque it to 20ft lbs...just hand tighten it

Old 07-19-2005, 09:27 PM

or if you want...
just take a long screwdriver and ram it thru the oil filter and use it as a "handle" since you are throwing it away anyway...if you use a K&N oil filter they have a nut on the end which makes it way easier to remove next time

Old 07-19-2005, 09:51 PM

u don't need to torque it to 20ft lbs...just hand tighten it
20 ft-lbs isn't a whole lot and can easily be attained by hand-tightening. But I think you do need 20 ft-lbs. The manufacturers chose that number for a reason.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:52 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to lay down **** loads of towels[8D] I use a strap wrench -- works like a charm. And like was already said ... snug that baby hand tight and you'll be fine.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the help.
As you can probably tell I/m a rookie. Just bought a 2005 Cbr600 F4i and have allready drop it in the garage!
trying to back it out . Not too much damage, but I did break the right hand mirror off and a eyelash looking scratch over the headlight.
At least now I won't have to worry about that 1st scratch.
Only a week old.....
Thanks again,
Lumberman

Old 07-20-2005, 06:58 AM

ORIGINAL: sirlimpzalot

or if you want...
just take a long screwdriver and ram it thru the oil filter and use it as a "handle" since you are throwing it away anyway...if you use a K&N oil filter they have a nut on the end which makes it way easier to remove next time
don't use a screw driver and ram it into the oil filter...u can accidentally damage ur thread

Old 07-20-2005, 12:26 PM

I've had to use the old screwdriver technique many a time. My ex-girlfriend had a nissan sentra. God damn filter was in such an awful place a screwdriver was all that would do it. If you don't jam it in right near the base there's no problems. This is usually a last case scenario kinda thing... but it doesnt hurt anything.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: xmunxjai648

don't use a screw driver and ram it into the oil filter...u can accidentally damage ur thread
that is true..but if you do not stick it thru the center and miss the threaded part, the screwdriver method is just a last resort..I prefer to use the strapwrench or buy a filter wrench if you are planning on doing this by yourself from now on.
It is a good idea to get some carb/contact cleaner and spray off the headers and anywhere the oil might have dripped or splashed. That way you minimize the smoking effect when you restart the motor

Old 07-21-2005, 04:22 PM

Screw driver works like a charm everytime.

Quick Reply: oil filter removal