CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Oil Change ? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/oil-change-115002/)

ryan_ashby 08-09-2010 07:58 PM

Oil Change ?

is the oil level supposed to be in the window while on the kickstand or while upright, my old cbr f2 was checked while on the kickstand

115Degrees 08-09-2010 08:24 PM

The owner's manual says to check it while upright. Kinda makes it necessary to have 2 people or a rear stand (or risk dropping the bike on your head).

JOECBR600F4i 08-09-2010 08:28 PM

I usually have my wife or a friend stand it up for me. Does not take but a second. Can to it by myself but easier and less risky with a friend to help out.

ryan_ashby 08-09-2010 08:29 PM

thanks, I looked at a service manual but it just said level surface, but not if the bike had to be upright or not

F4ith 08-09-2010 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by ryan_ashby (Post 955567)
thanks, I looked at a service manual but it just said level surface, but not if the bike had to be upright or not

The bike has to be on a level surface, meaning not on a bike stand or a slant. That means have someone stand the bike up and you check the window. I used the entire bottle of Amsoil in my last oil change and the oil sat close to the top line. This is with the filter change of course. I like it filled up above the middle just for those occasional times I wanna bring the front wheel up. I hear wheelies can lead to oil starvation. Just don't go out of the lines. Going anywhere out of that limit is obviously bad but too much oil is a lot better then too little oil imo. O and remember to run the bike after you fill her up to see where it sits after the oil pump does it's job.

DonEverett 08-10-2010 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by F4ith (Post 955623)
The bike has to be on a level surface, meaning not on a bike stand or a slant. That means have someone stand the bike up and you check the window. I used the entire bottle of Amsoil in my last oil change and the oil sat close to the top line. This is with the filter change of course. I like it filled up above the middle just for those occasional times I wanna bring the front wheel up. I hear wheelies can lead to oil starvation. Just don't go out of the lines. Going anywhere out of that limit is obviously bad but too much oil is a lot better then too little oil imo. O and remember to run the bike after you fill her up to see where it sits after the oil pump does it's job.

The mans got it! Not sure if Honda's starve for oil when doing wheelies though. Some bikes have their pickups in the front, and ours are in the back for the most part.
But yes, Level surface, and bike straight.

As dumb as it sounds I use the following technique:
Sit on bike as normal and hold it up level, and take a picture with my cellphone at the window. It lets me see the level quick without having to balance the bike while being on my knees trying to see it.

DBEAU 08-10-2010 11:53 AM

Its not difficult, just have some confidence. Put the bike in gear so it won't roll forwards or back. Leave the kickstand down. kneel down on the opposite side from the kickstand. Grab the handlebar and pull the bike up until you feel a balance point. At this point, your bike is positioned correctly to view the oil level.

If the bike falls to one side it will rest on the kickstand. If it falls towards you... well don't let it.

pittsm 08-10-2010 12:51 PM

^^^^x2, On my f4i, I find it easy to use my left hand on the passenger footpeg brace and use that to hold onto to balance it.