F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil

wow... after reading that long as MCN article, i'm very impressed. this aint no regular repeated "oil thread" (or maybe it still is but haven't searched hard enough). i actually learned something... basically Automotive Mobil 1 Synthetic is still beneficial for your bike and there is no such thing as a motorcycle specific oil and that's just an advertising/marketing hype. it all comes down to viscosity retention which had been shown that Automotive Mobil 1 Synthetic proves those old motorcycle tall tales wrong and the oil industry has improved.

thanx TBFGhost

Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 AM

here's another good article from sportrider. they conclude that there are differences b/w the chemical make up of "MC oil" vs. "traditional oil" but they don't conclude that they make an overall difference in oil performance.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

"
With all this testing data (and expense), you'd think making a clear-cut decision as to which oil is best would be easy. In the case of engine oils, however, there are too many products and variables that go into this equation. Due to the financial reasons stated earlier, not every test was run on every product, so crystal-clear conclusions aren't in the picture. You must weigh all the data we have made available; for instance, the fact that some oils may absorb acids better, but may not handle high heat as well. Or that while the four-ball wear test shows that particular automobile and motorcycle-specific oils perform identically, the heat and viscosity shear tests show otherwise.We did, however, unequivocally answer a few questions. For one, most name-brand motorcycle-specific oils are indeed different than common automotive oils, even within the same brand, debunking a common myth. Mobil One automotive oil is definitely different than its motorcycle-specific version. The same is true for the three oils provided by Castrol, showing that both companies have different goals when formulating their automotive and motorcycle products. Whether they perform better-despite the data we've gathered-is still a matter of opinion. Another manufacturer, on the other hand, appears to have selected the same additives in both of its offerings, which begs the question: Are they actually identical and simply relabeled?Once again, the final decision is up to you. It's your bike and your hard-earned money-so only you can make the decision whether to spend the extra bucks for full synthetic motorcycle oil or simple mineral-based car oil. Review the data we have presented, and select the product that is most suited to your bike and riding style."

Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM

True but to be fair, the don't conclude that the automotive oil perform up to par the same as MC oil either..... but I am gonna try them both and see what happens.....as far as any difference I may notice with the performance of the clutch or switch.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 AM

Synthetic Oil is A Bad Idea in any bike with a wet clutch

Old 03-05-2008, 02:03 AM

ORIGINAL: jkh421

Synthetic Oil is A Bad Idea in any bike with a wet clutch
why is that? i'm just curious what you're argument or claim is towards your statement?

Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so...after years and years of debating, etc...
it has come to this?
we need something else to argue about...guess the only things left are cctl and octane...is there anything else we can argue about?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:03 PM

yeah 3.5 qts to fill up, i use mobil 1 works real good and shifts smooth for about 2000 miles i like to change mine after that, and if u dont want to get ur fairings all oiled up just take some aluminum foil and make chute under the oil filter and itll keep everything nice and clean

Old 03-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2000 miles is a bit excessive if you weren't racing it.

bad for the environment too.

you should probably get a UOA to get an estimate of how long your oil will last instead.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:27 PM

One of the purposes of synthetic oil is to reduce friction by using it in a bike with a wet clutch you are reducing the friction in the clutch as well,wich will eventually cause it to start slipping.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: jkh421

One of the purposes of synthetic oil is to reduce friction by using it in a bike with a wet clutch you are reducing the friction in the clutch as well,wich will eventually cause it to start slipping.
um, isn't the purpose of motor oil in general to "reduce friction"?

and if synthetic is "too slippery" that's why all of the major oil manufacturers offer synthetic motorcycle oils that are "safe to use with wet clutch" systems?

i think the point you're attempting to make is that moly is too slippery for wet clutches (which hasn't been proven conclusively). but you're wrong if you think all synthetic oils contain "too much moly" to work in a bike.

bzzzt