CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Oh no taillight help please! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/oh-no-taillight-help-please-105659/)

fubbzie 02-05-2010 07:06 PM

Oh no taillight help please!

5 Attachment(s)
Well hello everyone, I just picked up a beautiful 2002 CBR 600 f4i today amd knowticed one thing wrong with it that I needed to fix, but as I dived into this project I got a bit confused and thought someone here who has the same undertail as me would know, so here comes the pics.

When I first started I could only get the left tail light to light up about half way and the right one wouldent even lite.
Attachment 58490

Attachment 58491

Attachment 58492

Attachment 58493

Attachment 58494

Any help would be apricated, help me get my baby on the road! :)

if you need more pics or any aditional info just ask and ill get it for ya.

oh and the read blinkers are not the led circles, they are the orange ovals so they shouldent effect them, right?

teko1020 02-05-2010 07:19 PM

Yes that "hack job" is necessary to install any type of aftermarket undertail. Welcome to motorcycles. But that is not a hotbodies undertail. My guess is that since you can push on the lights and have them turn on there is a short somewhere. I'd just toss it and spend the money for a different undertail that comes with wiring instructions.

fubbzie 02-05-2010 07:21 PM

Was thinking about doing that, kinda sucks tho. It'll be a while before i have to tho so mabye I can find a way to screw with itand fix it before I need to replace it.

skoobydoobie 02-06-2010 09:23 AM

The bulb that works (LH) has three wires coming out of it, and the other only has two coming out of it. The third wire appearently got ripped out of the socket somehow and was reattatched to the housing via tape. It is a ground that is proly not making good enough contact till you push on the bulb. You could disassemble the bulb housing and reattatch that wire properly, or just solder it to the outside of the housing. (I would disassemble)

jondevos 02-06-2010 10:25 AM

Im with skoobydoobie, if there is a wire that is taped onto the outside of the housing then I would start there. Bad ground is high on my list of what could be wrong. I say tear it apart and check all connections and wires. If you cant take it apart without damaging the light fixtures then I would take it off and go get a new one. You can buy one off ebay for $80 canadian.

fubbzie 02-06-2010 05:03 PM

Thanks for the responces, just got home from work (ace hardware) and I brought home some stuff to rewire it, I took off thoes yellow twist ons and the wires were bad looking so I'm just going for an overhall on it, and if that dosent work I'll buy a new one. will post up pics when I'm done.

fubbzie 02-06-2010 09:22 PM

Figured out what it was, for one the guy had wired it all wrong, two the ground wires that went to the housing had broken off, and one of them the spring had broken. So tomarrow its off to Pep Boys / Napa to get some new (sockets) and hopfully some red two filliment bulbs, and back to work to get some new connectors.

sry for double post.

ars1986 02-06-2010 09:33 PM

well good luck man, if you do not get it to work i can email what i did with mine, it cost me next to nothing and i works great. send me a pm if you need me to show you what i did i can send pictures and a explain it all.

it sure beats buying a new undertail. they can be expensive.

fubbzie 02-07-2010 07:01 PM

well, I took everything apart today and found out the guy had screwed up all the wireing, plus the sockets were corroded out. So I went to Pep boys and got 2 new sockets and 2 bulbs soddered a ground wire to the base of the socket and wired everything up, everything works great. id like 2 led bulbs but for $40 i think ill take the normal 2 filliment red ones ( a pack of two was $4.50)...

thanks for the help guys, love the forum.