F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Oh man this CW eliminator is pissin me OFF!

Old 09-09-2005, 03:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh man this CW eliminator is pissin me OFF!

OK so i get the eliminator and it looks really nice. But the damn thing comes with the worst instructions i think i have ever seen. a five year old with a box of crayons could have probably drawn up better pictures. well anyways thats beside the point. First i put all the metal pieces together and it looks about right according to the picture, well it isnt. Didnt take me long to get it all together and looking right, but still a pain and a bit frustrated at this point. I pulled the tail off which wasnt easy also, and removed the fender with a saws-all. And man if you ever want to loose some stress thats the way to do it. I go to mount the eliminator and the bracket that hooks up to the tail to keep it in place is about quarter of an inch off, at this point im pumped. More stress gone after i had to cut more with the saws-all but, all in all it took me about 3 hours just to shape the fender to get the brackets to work. Well me and my buddy have pretty good knowledge on how to fabricate stuff, putting things together, and we are just stunned on how long it takes just to get this damn thing aligned. We got it on and thought we were over the hill, but not yet. I went to go and reinstall all the connections to the lights, turnsignals, and all that stuff. Well i turn on the bike to make sure they are working, boom, blew a fuse. This is where i get furious. I dont have any damn fuses, go to home depot.... dont have the size. Then got to Auto Zone like right before they were about to close. Bought a box of fuses that probably came with 6 or so. I throw a new one in just to see what happened, boom, blown again. I unplugged and switched all the wires around because i thought i might of had them connected wrong. I went through about 5 fuses untill i figured out what the problem was. The whole metal eliminator kit was creating a ground of its own with the frame. Never would have found that, but stubbled upon that on accident. I have aftermarket turnsignals which i used to mount to the new kit. Well the metal screw that bolts the turnsignal to the kit was touching the inside ring of the hole that is made to put the turn signals in. Good thing the new kit came with rubber groumets for these openings, jk they didnt but they should have because that isnt smart. So my father who was an ex-electrician, my buddy, and I were bumbfounded for about an hour on what was going on. We were really confused on why the kit didnt already come coated in a non conductive film or something. So im not completely finsihed yet but i have been working on this project for about 7 hours today and pretty much anything that could go wrong, went wrong. I'll probably end up spraying a rubbery film on top of the metal so that way the kit doesnt conduct electricity anymore so i wont blow a fuse while riding or something. Well to tell you the truth, if anybody is thinking about doing something with the undertail just buy a already built one or something because that was not something i dont think anybody would want to do. It is possible that i was just having a bad day and other have done the same task in alot faster time but all in all its not fun to do, and CW should probably fix this problem and then they might have more customers.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Oh man this CW eliminator is pissin me OFF!

Dude, my fender eliminator consisted of a big hose clamp, aluminum bracket and lots of imagination. Personally I'd rewire the lights. Unless I'm missing something important (probably am) then the metal pieces being ground shouldn't matter -- the lights all come with their own ground wire. I wouldn't ground to the frame. But like I said, I may have missed the point.

Good luck with the rest of the install -- make sure you post up some pics. And remember, when the job gets frustrating ... beer helps[8D]

Old 09-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, sorry to hear you had such a rough time. i did mine relatively quickly and painted it black as well. i also used a hand saw...buahahhaha...

but on the bright side...IT LOOKS MUCH BETTER THAN STOCK NOW RIGHT?!

Old 09-09-2005, 01:57 PM

That's why I just went with a hotbodies undertail. Quick cut and mount.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:02 PM

My eliminator kit is great except that my brake light broke off from the plastic like screws and now I've got to rig it to stay up. How does Honda really expect someone to put their hand in the tail of the bike...???...that wasn't a good idea[:@]

Old 09-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, the instructions were horribly pathetic. fortunately, i have a pretty good eye for geometry so it wasn't too bad. i recommend using a dremel tool or other small cutting wheel for cutting the fender.

Old 09-10-2005, 12:42 AM

yeah I save my plastics as I do custom layered riviting. I've got a craftsman variable speed tool kit that came with a work like and an extended engraving attachment for $100. You got to get rid of those stock giant bubble signals though...

Old 09-10-2005, 04:25 AM

if brancart1 is talking about the eliminator kit that i'm thinking about..i have the same one...took me 30mins to assemble and install...only problem i hit was that i forgot with color coded plugs was for which signal..tested and got it fix...looks preety damn good too.
the only thing i modified was the little plate that follows the shape of the tail light...i hacked that away so it can light up the license plate..meaning no tail light light that hides inside of the kit...plus its more igconito

[IMG]local://upfiles/1473/148E9BF3D131484CA1F6264987FA912C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1473/ECF3BEC3B2E74454A210558AFA738240.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1473/9E2E8EB3A1EE48CFBD7BAF0784B37374.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yo dawg...looks good except them big bulbous turn signals!
should've roughed up the FE and then paint that thing black or something...then spray with that undercarriage spray.

T

Old 09-10-2005, 05:47 PM

Ok i got it all figured it out, and its all done. I ruled that sinse i was having a bad day already just everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. It should have not taken me that long because others did it in fractions of my time. I have aftermarket turnsignals which was the culpret for ****in up the fuses. but its all fixed. I'll get some pics today. but all in all i think it looks nicer than any of those hotbodies undertails or whatever. question to people who have already done this before, I have a red bike, keep the kit silver or paint it black? i kinda like the silver cause it brings more attraction to the rear but it might look cleaner with it being black, anybody with a pic of a black they did? thanks guys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oh man this CW eliminator is pissin me OFF!