CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Odometer acting up.. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/odometer-acting-up-119811/)

mbison83 01-03-2011 04:52 PM

Odometer acting up..

Ok. So I've been trying to swap LEDs on the cluster of my bike, and 4 of them do not work. Thats not all, the odometer reads different mileage than before. It jumped from 23k to 28k and some change. How is that possible? Is there a way to correct it? Please help.

jeffjones 01-03-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by mbison83 (Post 1001444)
Ok. So I've been trying to swap LEDs on the cluster of my bike, and 4 of them do not work. Thats not all, the odometer reads different mileage than before. It jumped from 23k to 28k and some change. How is that possible? Is there a way to correct it? Please help.

I would check your resoldering. Maybe you have some solder joints touching on the LCD. For the LED's not working check to make sure they are on the right way, They are polarity sensitive.
When I did it myself I think I had 2 not working because I overheated them when soldering.

mbison83 01-03-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones (Post 1001458)
I would check your resoldering. Maybe you have some solder joints touching on the LCD. For the LED's not working check to make sure they are on the right way, They are polarity sensitive.
When I did it myself I think I had 2 not working because I overheated them when soldering.

Ok. You have nailed the odometer issue, Jeff! My hat is off to you. As far as the LEDs, they are on the right way for sure (the triangle is facing "K" on each), but pain in the butt indeed when trying to solder them on. i've melted one LED already. How do I know if an LED is bad? Is there a simple way to check?

Also, what is the model number for the LEDs? I'm putting white ones on.

jeffjones 01-03-2011 09:27 PM

Digi-Key Part#, Manufacturer Part#, Description

475-1010-1-ND, LW T67C-T2U2-3C5D, LED WHITE DIFFUSED 2-PLCC SMD

eled.com part # EA3528RWC-A

As for testing them you could put leads from a 12V battery to it and see.

mbison83 01-03-2011 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones (Post 1001530)
Digi-Key Part#, Manufacturer Part#, Description

475-1010-1-ND, LW T67C-T2U2-3C5D, LED WHITE DIFFUSED 2-PLCC SMD

eled.com part # EA3528RWC-A

As for testing them you could put leads from a 12V battery to it and see.

These dont seem to be the ones I got (yellow in the center). Can I use a 9V battery to test a single LED? If so, which side would be a (+) and which (-)?

jeffjones 01-03-2011 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by mbison83 (Post 1001532)
These dont seem to be the ones I got (yellow in the center). Can I use a 9V battery to test a single LED? If so, which side would be a (+) and which (-)?

I have a set of them in front of me and they are yellow in the middle.
I bought a set of white and a set of blue in case I didnt like the blue and no extra shipping cost.
Ya you could use a 9V to test it, it would just be dimmer.
I believe the marked side is + but if it doesnt work just switch it around.

mbison83 01-03-2011 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones (Post 1001537)
I have a set of them in front of me and they are yellow in the middle.
I bought a set of white and a set of blue in case I didnt like the blue and no extra shipping cost.
Ya you could use a 9V to test it, it would just be dimmer.
I believe the marked side is + but if it doesnt work just switch it around.

Just used the 9V battery and burned one of them through. There is a burned spot right in the center of it.

jeffjones 01-04-2011 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by mbison83 (Post 1001542)
Just used the 9V battery and burned one of them through. There is a burned spot right in the center of it.

I apologize, I forgot to say put around a 1k ohm resistor in series with it.

jp_greenville13 01-04-2011 08:55 AM

I just lold at this thread. Call me if you need help man

Dragondima 01-04-2011 09:14 AM

Jeff you seem extremely knowledgeable on the Odometer, you should make a HOW TO:changing the Lights in an Odometer. I'd definitely be interested in seeing one removed from the bike, opened, and then seeing how the LED's sit, how to remove, and add new ones. Interested?