F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Odd speedo issue once a day

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd speedo issue once a day

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2001 F4i with 10k miles and found this great forum and hope someone might have some experience with an issue I'm having. I looked through the faqs and didnt find much.

When I first start to ride in the morning my speedometer stays at 0 and the F1 light comes on. After riding about 10 miles the F1 light goes off and the speedo begins to work correctly. If I let the bike warmup for a longer time it has no effect on the speedo issue, it isnt until it is moving for around 10 miles. Once it begins working it will work the rest of the day no matter how long the bike sits.

At first I thought it was a Battery issue but the extended warmup would have charged the batt just as well as riding the bike.

Any ideas?

Mitch

2001 Honda CBR600F4i

Old 07-08-2010, 05:16 PM

I would pull the connectors apart and make sure someone didnt cake the connectors with a bunch of dielectric grease. I had the exact same problem with my bike.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the connectors aswell, but fyi, letting it set and idle does not charge the battery. the charging system doesnt kick in till around 5k rpm which is why these arent great bar hopping bikes. they are meant to be winding out.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:40 PM

i had the same problem, turns out the speed sensor is magnetic and small metal filings will stick to it. it kinda looks like graphite is on it, i just pulled the sensor and wiped it off and it went back to normal. should help if not a new one will run bout 75 bucks

Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 AM

where is the spedo sensor located? i'm having the same problem and i've tried resetting the computer by disconnecting the wiring harnesses and the battery multiple times and the problem persists. I'll try wiping the spedo sensor off, but i dont exactly know where it is......

Old 07-11-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rsnee589
where is the spedo sensor located? i'm having the same problem and i've tried resetting the computer by disconnecting the wiring harnesses and the battery multiple times and the problem persists. I'll try wiping the spedo sensor off, but i dont exactly know where it is......
It looks like you have to remove the Throttle Body. Ugh.

Here are a few pics from the service Manual. Not much to go off of but its all i have at the moment.

Attached Thumbnails Odd speedo issue once a day-imag0074.jpg   Odd speedo issue once a day-imag0075.jpg   Odd speedo issue once a day-imag0076.jpg  
Old 07-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by MitchA
It looks like you have to remove the Throttle Body. Ugh.

Here are a few pics from the service Manual. Not much to go off of but its all i have at the moment.
You don't have to remove the throttle body. My bikes apart as my speed sensor died last week. Actually, I don't think removing the throttle bodies would help one bit. Easiest way I could tell was to remove the tank, side fairings and seat. Then you will have to support the back end up to release the weight off the rear so you can remove the rear shock. After thats done its right down there and can be gotten to really easily.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by LoneWolf04
You don't have to remove the throttle body. My bikes apart as my speed sensor died last week. Actually, I don't think removing the throttle bodies would help one bit. Easiest way I could tell was to remove the tank, side fairings and seat. Then you will have to support the back end up to release the weight off the rear so you can remove the rear shock. After thats done its right down there and can be gotten to really easily.
I will have to look closer and decide which is easier Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by MitchA; 07-11-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by LoneWolf04
Did this work? I have to replace my speed sensor as well