CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Number of original Ignition Keys supplied by Honda? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/number-original-ignition-keys-supplied-honda-147723/)

Psycho 06-28-2013 06:15 AM

Number of original Ignition Keys supplied by Honda?

Hello,

since I am close to buy an F4i sport 2001-2002?

How many ignition keys should I get from the previous owner/shop when buying a second hand CBR600FS 2001? Do I need two keys? Is there one black key and one red key like Yamaha, or a separate label etc, needed for key duplication? What was Honda giving when purchasing one brand new?

Thank you.

RoadiJeff 06-28-2013 06:40 AM

I always get two keys when I buy a new one. They both look the same, at least mine do.

bigboi18184 06-28-2013 02:31 PM

Usually get 2 keys and with Honda an id tag if i remember right to have new keys cut in case you lose both originals.

If it is a used bike then there is no set # of keys you would get since the one key is supposed to work with ignition, trunk and gad tank. So you may only get one or multiple, and they may not be original keys.

I have bought plenty of bikes without the original keys....just plain keys with no logos. As long as it works the ignition, tank lock and trunk you can always buy OEM blanks and have them cut.

Kopi Ko 06-28-2013 08:12 PM

If you only get 1 key when purchase your bike and wish to duplicate it, please be aware that it could be quite expensive to do so.

You will need a key with chip 35121MBW601 and a harness 07XMZMBW0101 (can DIY-ed) to program that key.

chambers 06-28-2013 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kopi Ko (Post 1239510)
If you only get 1 key when purchase your bike and wish to duplicate it, please be aware that it could be quite expensive to do so.

You will need a key with chip 35121MBW601 and a harness 07XMZMBW0101 (can DIY-ed) to program that key.

It's not expensive to get a copy for an f4i key, at least it wasn't for my 01. I just went to a locksmith with the original I got when I purchased it and they had blanks that worked and made me a copy.

bigboi18184 06-29-2013 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by chambers (Post 1239520)
It's not expensive to get a copy for an f4i key, at least it wasn't for my 01. I just went to a locksmith with the original I got when I purchased it and they had blanks that worked and made me a copy.

Yea F4i keys have no chip as far as I know, have used non-Honda keys before -- completely metal keys, like a house key looks.

If you want the OEM look you can order Honda keys off eBay for around $7 and then have them cut for $2 by most locksmiths.

Kopi Ko 06-29-2013 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by chambers (Post 1239520)

If you want a copy just to open tank or back seat, then it's cheap.
But if you want to use it for turn on the bike you have to use key with chip inside and program it.

bigboi18184 06-30-2013 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kopi Ko (Post 1239671)
If you want a copy just to open tank or back seat, then it's cheap.
But if you want to use it for turn on the bike you have to use key with chip inside and program it.

Not ALL F4i's have the hiss ignition which needs chipped keys.....so not everyone needs these expensive keys. All my f4i's have not had the hiss ignitions, so I never had to have a key with a chip.

And as far as I've read on the Honda Immobiliser Security System (HISS) they were installed on mostly UK version bikes......and I believe US bikes do not have them at all.

Kopi Ko 06-30-2013 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by bigboi18184 (Post 1239713)
Not ALL F4i's have the hiss ignition which needs chipped keys.....so not everyone needs these expensive keys. All my f4i's have not had the hiss ignitions, so I never had to have a key with a chip.

And as far as I've read on the Honda Immobiliser Security System (HISS) they were installed on mostly UK version bikes......and I believe US bikes do not have them at all.

That is very interesting... I never knew that not all F4i have HISS. (Mine has HISS)
Sorry about the mis-info

Psycho 07-01-2013 07:17 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Since I am looking to buy an F4i with the HISS system, what do I need to get from the previous owner, in oder to be able to make legal copies for the ignition? Just the two original keys? Is there a third one (like a red key that yamaha gives) or a label of some sort, for chip key duplication?