F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Not Starting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Starting?

i tried to search but i failed for some reason lol but.....

My 02 f4i wont start it will prime and i can hear it when i turn the key on but when i press the start button the lights turn off like normal but no start?

i checkd the fuses and all are good and all wires look fine ....

any suggestions??

thanks guys

Old 02-03-2010, 07:56 PM

Is it even turning over? More information would be helpful.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by teko1020
Is it even turning over? More information would be helpful.
nope not even a studder..... i hit the starter and i can hear the start button click and send the signal but nothing happens

Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM

i know its obvious but make sure you have a decent battery in it...if it doesnt even try my vote would be your battery has enough power for the lights/gauges but not the starter motor...hook a voltmeter and check should be around 12v i believe but correct me if i am wrong

Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by silverstonef4i
i know its obvious but make sure you have a decent battery in it...if it doesnt even try my vote would be your battery has enough power for the lights/gauges but not the starter motor...hook a voltmeter and check should be around 12v i believe but correct me if i am wrong
ok ill try hooking up my atv battery and see if it starts

Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 PM

not being a smartazz because I've done it, but is your kill switch on the right side flipped?? I sat one day for probably 2-3 minutes wondering what the fock happened to my bike, and was even contemplating push starting it, but then saw I had bumped my kill switch. Yeah I felt like an idiot.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 PM

hahha no i checked that already

Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long has it been sittin. If your battery is good, then its proly hydrolocked. Which means your FPR proly failed and let fuel fill the combustion chamber. (unless it fell over and layed on its side for a while, then the oil may have filled the chamber) But either way, to fix it you will need to remove the spark plugs cover the holes with a rag (to prevent a big mess) and hit the starter button. That will blow all the sht outta the chamber and allow the motor to spin again. Reassemble and rock n f'in roll. Thats IF the battery is not the problem.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:10 AM

Yeah Bro, I have the same problem as well. I have my bike in the garage right now and about every 4-5 days I would go in and start it. The other day, I went to start it, but nothing. I do think it is my battery, but I had it charging, so I am not sure. I am going to buy a new battery and try that first. This time I am go to keep it in my house this time.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 AM
June 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
How long has it been sittin. If your battery is good, then its proly hydrolocked. Which means your FPR proly failed and let fuel fill the combustion chamber. (unless it fell over and layed on its side for a while, then the oil may have filled the chamber) But either way, to fix it you will need to remove the spark plugs cover the holes with a rag (to prevent a big mess) and hit the starter button. That will blow all the sht outta the chamber and allow the motor to spin again. Reassemble and rock n f'in roll. Thats IF the battery is not the problem.
I was thinking fuel pressure regulator as well. My bike would just click when I hit the start button as well. It would start eventually though. I did end up replacing the part and now have no issues at all.

There is a really nice how to write up by flyou on how to change it with pictures and everything.

Quick Reply: Not Starting?