F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Not Starting?

  #1  
Old 02-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 100
Default Not Starting?

i tried to search but i failed for some reason lol but.....

My 02 f4i wont start it will prime and i can hear it when i turn the key on but when i press the start button the lights turn off like normal but no start?

i checkd the fuses and all are good and all wires look fine ....

any suggestions??

thanks guys
 
  #2  
Old 02-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 517
Default

Is it even turning over? More information would be helpful.
 
  #3  
Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 100
Default

Originally Posted by teko1020 View Post
Is it even turning over? More information would be helpful.
nope not even a studder..... i hit the starter and i can hear the start button click and send the signal but nothing happens
 
  #4  
Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West side Indy
Posts: 107
Default

i know its obvious but make sure you have a decent battery in it...if it doesnt even try my vote would be your battery has enough power for the lights/gauges but not the starter motor...hook a voltmeter and check should be around 12v i believe but correct me if i am wrong
 
  #5  
Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 100
Default

Originally Posted by silverstonef4i View Post
i know its obvious but make sure you have a decent battery in it...if it doesnt even try my vote would be your battery has enough power for the lights/gauges but not the starter motor...hook a voltmeter and check should be around 12v i believe but correct me if i am wrong
ok ill try hooking up my atv battery and see if it starts
 
  #6  
Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 PM
ID_CBRRider's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 204
Default

not being a smartazz because I've done it, but is your kill switch on the right side flipped?? I sat one day for probably 2-3 minutes wondering what the fock happened to my bike, and was even contemplating push starting it, but then saw I had bumped my kill switch. Yeah I felt like an idiot.
 
  #7  
Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 100
Default

hahha no i checked that already
 
  #8  
Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 861
Default

How long has it been sittin. If your battery is good, then its proly hydrolocked. Which means your FPR proly failed and let fuel fill the combustion chamber. (unless it fell over and layed on its side for a while, then the oil may have filled the chamber) But either way, to fix it you will need to remove the spark plugs cover the holes with a rag (to prevent a big mess) and hit the starter button. That will blow all the sht outta the chamber and allow the motor to spin again. Reassemble and rock n f'in roll. Thats IF the battery is not the problem.
 
  #9  
Old 02-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brampton, Ont, Canada
Posts: 22
Default

Yeah Bro, I have the same problem as well. I have my bike in the garage right now and about every 4-5 days I would go in and start it. The other day, I went to start it, but nothing. I do think it is my battery, but I had it charging, so I am not sure. I am going to buy a new battery and try that first. This time I am go to keep it in my house this time.
 
  #10  
Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 AM
KdubyaH's Avatar
June 2011 ROTM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 509
Default

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie View Post
How long has it been sittin. If your battery is good, then its proly hydrolocked. Which means your FPR proly failed and let fuel fill the combustion chamber. (unless it fell over and layed on its side for a while, then the oil may have filled the chamber) But either way, to fix it you will need to remove the spark plugs cover the holes with a rag (to prevent a big mess) and hit the starter button. That will blow all the sht outta the chamber and allow the motor to spin again. Reassemble and rock n f'in roll. Thats IF the battery is not the problem.
I was thinking fuel pressure regulator as well. My bike would just click when I hit the start button as well. It would start eventually though. I did end up replacing the part and now have no issues at all.

There is a really nice how to write up by flyou on how to change it with pictures and everything.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not Starting?


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.