F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

NOOO!!! MY TANK GOT SCRATCHED & DINGED

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOOO!!! MY TANK GOT SCRATCHED & DINGED

CAN anyone here give some advice on where to get OEM paint for touch ups. I did a favor for a friend yesterday and put his bike in the shed with mine. His tips over and dominos into mine. His brake lever was broken and had a jagged edge. It carved two deep gashes into my tank and the bar end dented two spots on the top of my tank, then poked a hole in my seat. Ive kept my bike looking like the day i bought it a few years ago and i am LIVID. ALso, the nose cowel got scuffed through the paint under the right mirror mount, horizontally all the way across. I NEED ANY ADVICE ABOUT TECHNIQUES for Touching up the cowl and the tank with out it looking like ****. I managed to pop out the two dents in the tank and you cant tell anything happend except for the littler one on the edge of the top of the tank. I used that popsy dent garbage but it actually worked until my Stupid *** tried to use it on the gash/dent on the crotch area of the tank. I tried to pop that ding out and it took a quarter sized paint chip off the tank. F@@#$@#$@#$@#. @!!!!!!!! For now I just used clear coat nail polish to keep the area from spreading. PLEASE <ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME> THanks GUYs.

I'll Post some pics as soon as I get a Chance

[sm=sick.gif]/b][sm=smiley11.gif][sm=smiley19.gif]

Old 09-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Default RE: NOOO!!! MY TANK GOT SCRATCHED & DINGED

sucks

www.colorrite.com

Old 09-06-2008, 06:48 PM

was this post all in bold for any particular reason?

Old 09-06-2008, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: markCBR

was this post all in bold for any particular reason?
Im guessing it was to show his #(&@#$...FRUSTRATION...#(&$@#(&

It was more annoying than anything, though.I couldnt even finish reading it.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:41 AM

You are going to have to sand that area down flat with about 2.5 inches all around the damaged area. then you have to color blend it then the whole piece needs to be re clear coated

Old 09-07-2008, 03:13 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, it's either repainting the entire surface of the panel, or leaving it alone. Trying to touch it up is only going to look like you are trying to cover it up, wich over all looks worse to me than a couple scratches. (not to mention, the grooves with touch up paint will look horrible) So I would suggest living with them until you can find replacement parts, or have your current parts painted.

Just my opinion though.......I've never had any luck with touch up's.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Sorry for the Over done post. the dents and scratches had just happened. Fudge it. Everything still works I got the majority of the big dent out. as for the the scuffs. I ordered some stuff from colorrite. I figure ill over apply the small areas after a little prep and then wet sand 3 to 4000 grit the surface to even it out. It might look worse........It might not but im gonna give it a shot. As for the tank, the gash is too deep to paint over so gonna sand that one inch area, prime pen it , paint, Gloss, sand & buff and h0pe for the best. I'll let you guys know if it was worth it or not after I do it.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:07 PM

if its a real chip 3000 or 4000 wont do jack.

Try starting with 150 get it perfectly clean. You want to see all the layers such as Primer. paint. As soon as you get to the metal stop around that area. you generally don't want to hit metal. once you get it flat then worry about making it nicer. with wet sanding. Honestly I worked at a body shop for 6 months last year. I have never seen anyone use anything above 1500. even buffing out of imperfections out of clear coats were 1500.