F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

noob's bike wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob's bike wont start

Some assisstance would really be appreciated. I have no idea what's wrong, but, the bike wont start. I'll try to get to the point.

Recently finished moving. Unloaded it off the back of the trailer. Before I put the bike away, I decide to turn it on and go for a quick jaunt. Everything works perfectly fine and starts just fine. After my ride, bring it to the back of the house, rev it a few times cuz i'm a poseur and then turn it off. Put my bike cover on and call it a night. A week later, I try to start the bike but notice the headlights real dim. Turns out the battery needed a charge so I charge it and hook it back up. Turn ignition to on, make sure in neutral, and switch kill switch to "run". Wait for the fuel pump to "whir" and fi light to go off. Everything is normal as usual and I push the starter. That's where things go sour. I hold the starter for a good 5 seconds and nothing. All I hear is the starter over and over again. So before I have a professional look at it I was hoping someone here could help me save some cash.

To my knowledge, the bike hasn't been dropped since the night I left it. I rent the place and I don't know if the landlord or his kids have beenmessing with it. Also, YES, there's gas. I'm not a complete artard. Any help or ideas would really be appreciated.

I used the search feature and i'll try some of the suggestions. i.e. resetting the trip sensor and checking if I need to "puke" the cylinders etc.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: noob's bike wont start

Does the starter just whir or does it actually turn over? Does it barely turn over or quickly?
If it's turning over like it should => there's no battery problem. (Batteries will self-discharge and usually it takes half hour of riding to charge a battery even when normally riding)

Did you adjust the idle rpm? If that's turned down too low the bike might not start or will die instantly. (F4is rev to a higher rpm when just started, so if you adjust the rpm at that time then the fuel sent is too low... something I found out our local dealer dudes didnt know)

If you just keep the bike sitting for long periods of time that can foul up stuff including your sparks... my suggestion is if you have an incline handy then take it down and try 'push' starting it multiple times... (then figure out a way to get back up). Sometimes people turn off the fuel pump too and turn the engine over, to get rid of any flooding...

Old 10-04-2007, 03:00 PM

ERRRR-ERRRRR-ERRRRR-ERRRR-errrrrrr-errrrrr-errrrrrr-errrrr-errr.....errrrrr.........errrrrrrrr Does one of those maybe? you probably just need a new battery. wont fire the ignition if you have >11.3volts. simliar thing happened to me. I ran my bike just fine and then parked it for a week and it was nearly a goner when i got back. thank god for gel batteries coming back to life. by the way, if you need a new battery... go here.

dvoltbatteries.com

$69.99 with free shipping and a 1 year warrentee for a GEL type battery. these are hella better than AEG type original equipment.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 PM

i would def. pull the plugs and see if they need replaced. but check the tip sensor and stuff first. The plugs arent much fun to change but not really hard. Basic tools and about an hour of time and you have it done.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:16 PM
IDL

Check your kill switch!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:41 PM
February 2009 ROTM

Try a friend's battery and see what that does because i had the same problem new battery solved it.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Retired Moderator

I'm wondering about the battery, too.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:41 PM

ok ok... I just wanna make sure I fully understand what you guys are saying.

Even after charging the battery for 5 hours, it might still be a "low voltage" problem?
Cuz when I push in the ignition I hear the "errr errr errr errr" sound (i.e. there's power going to it), but, the bike wont fire up.
I'm just a bit apprehensive about the battery being the problem cuz the starter works.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 PM

just because you charged the battery does not mean that it will hold that potential. i would check the voltage on the battery.
to me its between the battery and the plugs.
easy way to tell you have a weak batt. do a push start.
turn the bike on (ignition+killswitch), drop into 1st gear, let your friend push the bike up to 10mhp(disengauged clutch) and then drop the clutch. if you bike cranks even once you should have enough voltage from the alternator to ride the bike.
this will tell you that you batt is too weak.