CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Noob-Fairing set (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/noob-fairing-set-56043/)

Allamericantc 12-17-2007 09:11 PM

Noob-Fairing set

Hey guys,
I'm a new guy to the forum walls so any help would be appreciated.

So, I took my bike, 04, out of the garage the other day and warmed it up. I decided to take it for a spin around the block to keep the juices flowing. Bad idea! I was going down my steep driveway and the front wheel slipped out on ice and slid down the entire driveway. It cracked up the left side pretty good. I know, I'm an idiot. Anyways, long story short, I decided instead of paying a rediculous amount of money to get the factory fairings, I would get a new set off of e-bay. I saw some nice fairing sets (posted) but I wanted to see what you guys thought or if you knew of any other fairing set sites. I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/19973/B27741F27C2E444FAC4589B00E0FEA63.jpg[/IMG]

dwschultzy 12-17-2007 09:18 PM

RE: Noob-Fairing set

I don't have any personal experience with aftermarket fairings. But I will tell you just from reading the MULTIPLE threads on this site about how aftermarket fairing suck, I will never purchase a set. From what I know from others here is, that everyone of the aftermarket sets needs tweeking. Some allot worse than others, but none of them seem to fit very well.

Try to stick with OEM. Just my .02

Allamericantc 12-17-2007 09:21 PM

Thanks for getting back so quick. I heard they needed some shifting around to get a good fit to, but I wasn't sure how much they were talking. If it comes pre-drilled, that wouldn't make is almost a perfect fit?

dwschultzy 12-17-2007 09:25 PM

Do a search here for "plastics" or such. There are multiple people who have tried aftermarket fairings. Nobody has had anything good to say that I can remember. I know of one aftermarket manufacturer that was said to be better than others, but still needed some tweaking.

Good luck, welcome to the forum.

turkey281 12-17-2007 10:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Allamericantc

Thanks for getting back so quick. I heard they needed some shifting around to get a good fit to, but I wasn't sure how much they were talking. If it comes pre-drilled, that wouldn't make is almost a perfect fit?
I think that's the main issue with the ones on ebay, that they aren't really pre-drilled. Some of them may have some of the holes, but they need some more work. OEM would probably be best, but yeah, that gets expensive...

woodyracing 12-17-2007 11:24 PM

I wouldn't buy the ebay stuff, I'd much rather spend the money on Sharkskinz "Street" fairings, good stuff and a HELL of a lot better than the cheapo ebay stuff

Jump1979man 12-17-2007 11:25 PM

The one in the pic is made of cheap chinese plastic and not fiberglass.....it has no heat shielding and will melt. Do not recommend it. Plus the fact it really isnt all that cheap. There are others on ebay that are way less and fiberglass.

shawnyc01f4i 12-18-2007 07:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Jump1979man

The one in the pic is made of cheap chinese plastic and not fiberglass.....it has no heat shielding and will melt. Do not recommend it. Plus the fact it really isnt all that cheap. There are others on ebay that are way less and fiberglass.
X2 on that, I also heard from a few people that they melt. I don't know if it is because there are no heat shields or if they are just cheap plastic. If you do go with them I would definitelyput some heat protection on it.

Ned Strange 12-18-2007 02:01 PM

my 2Cents is if your not going with the factory plastic then go with eather Sharkskins or Cheeta Raceing bodies. I have and currently use the Cheeta tail on my bike the fitt is pretty good and i have a sharkskinz upper and that fits good

maat 12-18-2007 05:24 PM

I bought a pre-drilled fiberglass upper fairing off eBay and I had to spend a couple hours with a heat gun before I could torque the holes into place. The fit is still so horrible that I'm only going to be using it as a race plastic.

My advice: wait for a deal on some used OEM plastic, and only replace what you have to. Epoxy might be good enough.