CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Is this noise something to be worried about? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/noise-something-worried-about-122450/)

InitialG93 03-15-2011 02:24 PM

Is this noise something to be worried about?

I hate to be one of those people but my 2005 F4i has a slight "tick" at low rpm's specifically idle-3,000rpms.

The bike has 7,000 miles on it and I replaced the CCTL about 1,000 miles ago when I heard it going bad so I don't think the CCTL is the problem.

Any help is much appreciated.

Heres the video of the noise, it can be heard very well between 0:30-0:36 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGanLdtndaA

kazspeed 03-15-2011 02:30 PM

Can't hear a tick sound.....

InitialG93 03-15-2011 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by kazspeed (Post 1025854)
Can't hear a tick sound.....

It's there because I can hear it in the video. It might be normal for the f4i but I just freak out about any noise.

backyardmechanic 03-15-2011 03:12 PM

i hear it, when have you changed the spark plugs?

InitialG93 03-15-2011 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by backyardmechanic (Post 1025881)
i hear it, when have you changed the spark plugs?

Never changed the spark plugs, they are still the stock ones so they should be torqued properly.

Slick 6 03-15-2011 04:10 PM

When you hear the tick, try to pull the clutch in neutral. If it fades away, it probably is your clutch basket

Tommysf4i 03-15-2011 04:41 PM

Starts & sounds awful! Perhaps its the cct?

InitialG93 03-15-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Slick 6 (Post 1025900)
When you hear the tick, try to pull the clutch in neutral. If it fades away, it probably is your clutch basket

I just tried that and it made no difference when the clutch was in. I also tried pulling the clutch in while in gear and no difference either.

Originally Posted by Tommysf4i (Post 1025907)
Starts & sounds awful! Perhaps its the cct?

Yeah I know it sounds awful, but I hope it's not the CCTL because I just replaced that and it made the rattle go away at 5.5k.

hites87 03-15-2011 08:15 PM

I have a 2006 and it does the same thing i thought maybe valve shims bc i juts changed the cam chain tensioner to a manual one so i know its not that i even tried running premium gas to see if it was a spark knock and that didnt help so i thought it was valve shims or just a normal f4i sound bc it doesnt get worse at higher rpms

InitialG93 03-15-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by hites87 (Post 1025989)
I have a 2006 and it does the same thing i thought maybe valve shims bc i juts changed the cam chain tensioner to a manual one so i know its not that i even tried running premium gas to see if it was a spark knock and that didnt help so i thought it was valve shims or just a normal f4i sound bc it doesnt get worse at higher rpms

I agree with you that it's not the CCTL, but I don't think my valves could be out of adjustment with just over 7,000 miles on the bike and I do not ride the bike hard.

I'm beginning to think that it may be a loose spark plug or spark plug wire as someone mentioned before.

hites87 03-15-2011 08:43 PM

possible but you said you dont notice any power issues so not sure bc you would think that with much movement on a plug you would loose power my bike has 11000 on it so that was my only guess if you figure it out please post wat it was

backyardmechanic 03-15-2011 09:29 PM

It could be a loose plug, but if you change them the bike will run better and you maybe will cure the noise. Its weird that anything is wrong at only 7k miles, hmmm

hites87 03-15-2011 09:32 PM

loose plug would cause backfire you would think ... running too lean shouldnt it

backyardmechanic 03-15-2011 09:42 PM

a loose plug would miss at the cylinder would work itself out eventually so unlikely, but a loose coil pack would make the cylinder miss alot, causing a backfire everytime you rev it as the unburned fuel got ignighted in the midpipe and exhaust, i know i had all 4 go bad a few months back and the flame looked cool, but the bike ran like crap . so if you dont feel any power loss, its just a fairy in the engine, you can look but never will find anything

Slick 6 03-16-2011 06:34 AM

Yeah, a loose plug would do just that, you'd have running issues also.

Since you just changed the CCTL (are you sure the bolts that tightens it to the head are well tightened?) and the bike has few miles, making it improbable that the valve clearances are tight/loose, I'd bet it's oil...

Did you use a different type oil in your last change? Different weight?
I say this because I noticed that when I shortly used 15-40 to "clean" her inside, the bike sounded different, noisier like the valves were out of spec or the oil cooler was clicking and it pretty much sounded like yours.

InitialG93 03-16-2011 07:30 AM

The oil I'm using is Rotella T6 5w-40 full synthetic and before that I used Honda GN-4 conventional oil.

I made sure that the CCTL bolts were all properly torqued.

I should also mention that this noise has plagued my bike since i bought it at 3k miles. Also I haven't noticed any power loss and it very rarely backfires.

InitialG93 03-16-2011 12:02 PM

I have taken the bike almost apart and found that the valve cover breather hose was not connected to the air box. This is how it came from the factory since this is the first time the airbox has come off.

I took off the exhaust headers to see if it was an exhaust leak and it wasn't. Now I do have an exhaust leak until I get new gaskets which I ordered today.

All the spark plugs were tight and the coils seemed fine.

I will find out if I cured the noise as soon as I install the new exhaust gaskets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOkpL4JkIbI

Lucentinjection 03-16-2011 12:28 PM

Might just be me, but that noise sounds perfectly normal. A lot of Honda engines have that 'valve clatter' noise, which is caused by the gap between the rocker arm and camshaft lobe. I honestly wouldn't worry about anything, but maybe you can check the valve adjustments if you haven't already done it.

My bike and many others I've seen sound the same as yours, unless the video didn't capture the noise very well.

InitialG93 03-16-2011 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lucentinjection (Post 1026245)
Might just be me, but that noise sounds perfectly normal. A lot of Honda engines have that 'valve clatter' noise, which is caused by the gap between the rocker arm and camshaft lobe. I honestly wouldn't worry about anything, but maybe you can check the valve adjustments if you haven't already done it.

My bike and many others I've seen sound the same as yours, unless the video didn't capture the noise very well.

The video did capture the noise fairly well but I just thought the noise might be a problem.

InitialG93 03-16-2011 01:28 PM

Okay, I fixed the exhaust leak noise and now everything is back to normal and hopefully better than before.

I think the noise has quieted down. Please listen and tell me if it sounds the same as your bike now.

I just connected the hose that was out of place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iULGLf4JVeM

Lucentinjection 03-16-2011 02:10 PM

Just went out to take a listen and it sounds pretty much the same. I think you're good to go. Go enjoy the weather while it lasts!

InitialG93 03-16-2011 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lucentinjection (Post 1026308)
Just went out to take a listen and it sounds pretty much the same. I think you're good to go. Go enjoy the weather while it lasts!

Excellent, thanks for your help and everyone else who helped.

Tommysf4i 03-17-2011 08:05 AM

It sounds much better.........but she whistle's?? Otherwise, its fine.