F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

noise during warm up

Old 03-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise during warm up

alright guys, i have a question. let me fill you in on the details

06 CBR F4i
bought with 0.4 miles on it.
the first 80 miles were broken in like the dealership said (keep under 5k). after reading online, i found more and more articles than i could read that you should break the bike in "the way your going to ride it". so i beat up on it a little more. the bike has not seen over 10k

but i notice something during cold start up. it sounds like metal flakes going through the engine. it will only do this this first ~30 seconds of warming up. if the bike is rode anywhere, and let to sit for a few and come back out to start, it doesnt make the noise. its only specifically during COLD start up.

do you think there could be some shavings floating around? i would doubt so unless there is a serious problem. iam waiting to change my oil at the recommeneded 500mile mark.

another thing i was was wondering was if the rods are aluminum? if so, maybe its piston slap/rods are noisey when cold

this is my first bike and i am paranoid about this sound. I have built turbo-hondas before and never heard this noise, it almost relates to detonation with a car motor under boost.

thanks.

-steve

Old 03-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Default RE: noise during warm up

ORIGINAL: SmokeShank

the bike has not seen over 10k

iam waiting to change my oil at the recommeneded 500mile mark.
whats the current milage on the bike? 600 miles is the recomended first service and oil change... if you have been beating it up and reving over 6k, i would recomend you get the oil changed at 300 and 600.

i dont understand why people do not listen to the manufacturor of the bikes? i mean, they made the damn thing, from ground up, you would think they know a little bit about the bike.

in anycase, yes, you do get shavings in the initial oil, and changing it will help and drain out the shavings... now is that going to take care of the noise? is the noise related to the shavings? no idea, i have never experienced it.

goodluck!

Old 03-07-2007, 03:55 PM

there are roughly 150 miles on it.

the manual says not to do: full throttle accleration for 600 miles
the dealer said : keep under 5k,no full throttle,for 500 miles
everyone online said to break it in like im going to ride it later to get the rings to seat. two other dealerships said that as well. my father works for honda of america and said he broke his bike in the same way (beat it). its just i have never seen a honda with shavings before from the factory. they are so well put together. thats why i was wondering if the pistons were known to have slap, or maybe it was caused from aluminum rods if they have them, which i am unsure of.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:55 PM

Piston slap, it's normal. When the engine gets more heat cycles in it the sound will eventualy fade away.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: 13brsxsrr

Piston slap, it's normal. When the engine gets more heat cycles in it the sound will eventualy fade away.

thats what i have been thinking, but i wasnt sure.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:54 PM

Change the oil man, no reason not to spend 30 bucks to prevent $$ in the long run.