CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   No spark or fuel (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/no-spark-fuel-117236/)

Stunt'n70f4i 10-03-2010 09:30 PM

No spark or fuel

I have a 2001 F4i

It wont get spark and fuel pump won't prime when the key is turned on.

BAS is bypassed
Clutch switch is bypassed
Engine cut relay works fine
Fuel cut relay I think works I jumped it and the fuel pump still wouldnt turn on
Checked fuel pump and it works when power is added to it
Checked spark plugs and they look pretty good a little tan but not black
Has brand new ignition
all sensors are intact and work
Grounds look good
Starter relay is fine
Battery is good
all fuses are good

The bike will crank all day but no spark or fuel. I know there isn't spark because when I pulled the coil out of one cylinder and attached a brand new spark plug to it I never saw a spark when I started the bike.

I don't know what it is.
What could it be?

RdRcr150 10-03-2010 09:40 PM

I have had that exact problem on an F4I and a CBR60RR. If you remove the connector to the bank angle sensor and ground the the R/W wire everthing works until you unground the wire. I have traced the entire wire system and checked all relays to no avail. The 600 RR fixed itself mysteriously and now I have the F4I stumping me. I have been working on bikes since 1960 and this problem defies all logic. There is not a connector or relay that hasn't been checked. If anyone has a clue please let me know.

Stunt'n70f4i 10-03-2010 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by RdRcr150 (Post 973536)
I have had that exact problem on an F4I and a CBR60RR. If you remove the connector to the bank angle sensor and ground the the R/W wire everthing works until you unground the wire. I have traced the entire wire system and checked all relays to no avail. The 600 RR fixed itself mysteriously and now I have the F4I stumping me. I have been working on bikes since 1960 and this problem defies all logic. There is not a connector or relay that hasn't been checked. If anyone has a clue please let me know.

So if I cut all three wires to the BAS and just take the R/W wire and attach it to the frame my bike may work? And yea this is the most confusing thing I've ever seen. It got to the point where I wanted to take this bike and throw it off a cliff hahaha.

RdRcr150 10-04-2010 06:55 AM

DO NOT CUT ANYTHING!!! Unplug the connector from the BAS and jump the R/W wire to ground. That will allow the bike to run, but it does not fix the source of the problem. If I ever find the source I will tell you. This is a temp fix and not a correction. I have heard of a zener diode that may ber causing the issue and I am going to investigate that further.

Stunt'n70f4i 10-05-2010 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by RdRcr150 (Post 973603)
DO NOT CUT ANYTHING!!! Unplug the connector from the BAS and jump the R/W wire to ground. That will allow the bike to run, but it does not fix the source of the problem. If I ever find the source I will tell you. This is a temp fix and not a correction. I have heard of a zener diode that may ber causing the issue and I am going to investigate that further.

That didnt work and I heard that it's supposed to be two outer wires connected (red/white and the green and the leave the white wire alone) That's what I did. I also checked my ignition wires and they all are getting 12 V except for the pink wire, the pink wire is getting 9.34 V is that ok?

nickp123 10-05-2010 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stunt'n70f4i (Post 974188)
That didnt work and I heard that it's supposed to be two outer wires connected (red/white and the green and the leave the white wire alone) That's what I did. I also checked my ignition wires and they all are getting 12 V except for the pink wire, the pink wire is getting 9.34 V is that ok?

Yeah theres a zener diode in the ignition switch that reduces the 12v current to 9v. If the ecu doesnt get a 9v signal from the pink wire it wont start (for anti-theft purposes).

Stunt'n70f4i 10-05-2010 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by nickp123 (Post 974191)
Yeah theres a zener diode in the ignition switch that reduces the 12v current to 9v. If the ecu doesnt get a 9v signal from the pink wire it wont start (for anti-theft purposes).

Ok cool.

So ignition switch is good.
spark plugs are good
BAS is bypassed
starter relay is good
clutch switch is bypassed
kickstand switch is bypassed
both fuel cut and engine stop relay are fine
cam pulse generator is good
ignition pulse generator is good

What else could it be?

nickp123 10-05-2010 09:41 PM

might be fuel cut off relay. The pump should prime if you jump that. put power to the pump itself and see if it primes. if not you have a bad fuel pump if it does its probably the relay

Stunt'n70f4i 10-05-2010 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by nickp123 (Post 974202)
might be fuel cut off relay. The pump should prime if you jump that. put power to the pump itself and see if it primes. if not you have a bad fuel pump if it does its probably the relay

Yea fuel pump works. it gets fuel but no spark. It cranks all day

nickp123 10-06-2010 12:45 AM

oh i was going with the original post that said no spark or fuel my bad then. i guess that narrows it down to electrical...do your headlights work and everything? Ive heard a short or bad connection in the headlight harness has caused this issue. Re-check the connection, wires, and ground. Otherwise im just as stumped as you :icon_shrug: